Railroad Forums 

• NLX Northern Lights Express HSR MN Duluth-Twin Cities

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1633829  by Tadman

eolesen wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:41 pm What does any of this have to do with the Minneapolis to Duluth train? We're not talking about a high-speed section that is going to allow 110 mph running.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I'm not sure, and I don't know that the Saint Louis corridor is a viable analogy for the Duluth corridor. Saint Louis and downstate Illinois are much more populous than Duluth/Superior and the Iron Range. I don't see a need to ever upgrade the BN (or have a government buyout) for this service. The ticket to success here is 2-3/day each direction, pay market rates for trackage rights to ensure timely running, and a robust bus connection from a Superior terminal to Duluth, Hibbing, and Two Harbors.
 #1633836  by electricron

Tadman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:49 am I'm not sure, and I don't know that the Saint Louis corridor is a viable analogy for the Duluth corridor. Saint Louis and downstate Illinois are much more populous than Duluth/Superior and the Iron Range. I don't see a need to ever upgrade the BN (or have a government buyout) for this service. The ticket to success here is 2-3/day each direction, pay market rates for trackage rights to ensure timely running, and a robust bus connection from a Superior terminal to Duluth, Hibbing, and Two Harbors.
Whether it is a viable analogy or not depends upon maximum speed "or" train frequency. Note I did not write or suggest "and". The Lincoln Service has a frequency of 4 trains per day in each direction, one of which is extended as the River Runner; with an additional Texas Eagle sleeper train service.
How much frequency will the Northern Lights service have? One, two, three, or four round trips per day? What will be the maximum speed? 79. 90, or 110 mph? How much money is the State of Minnesota willing to subsidize this service?
 #1633872  by Tadman

charlesriverbranch wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:41 pm How would this proposed service compare with Amtrak's Downeaster between Boson and Brunswick, Maine, via Portland?
That's a good question. In terms of population bases and reasons for travel, they're fairly similar. Big city in the south and natural resources-laden area up north with heavy vacation traffic. The host railroads are much different, in that the BNSF is very healthy and while the B&M route has had their trials. Also the Twin Ports is a zoo in terms of yards, bridges, junctions, and traffic. Think of a mini-Chicago.