Railroad Forums 

• Obscure Facts about SEPTA

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1633215  by Pensyfan19

Hello all;

I know that it has been some time since I have posted on this forum, but I am currently in the midst of working on a massive project that covers obscure facts about various northeast commuter railroads, ranging from leased engines and odd consists to special trains and overlooked historic events. Therefore, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share any obscure facts about SEPTA's commuter rail division that you can think of so that I can add as much info as I can to this project. Info must be limited to any time after the formation of said commuter railroad, and does not include any info about its predecessors. Thank you for your help.
 #1633273  by WashingtonPark

In the summer of 1976 the New Hope Railroad actually ran a commuter train to Warminster in the morning and afternoon to connect with Septa. The train to Warminster in the morning and the one to New Hope in the afternoon would work the freight so it was actually a mixed train. I rode it one day . On the way back we had a couple of hopper cars in the consist. This continued for a very short time. Only 2 or 3 months if memory serves correctly.
 #1633485  by flynnt

Septa commuter rail serves 3 states.

Septa commuter rail has no restrooms on board.

Septa has sold naming rights for stations to local health systems and also a local convenience store.
 #1633486  by amtrakhogger

Septa's AEM7's were rated at 125mph but never ran that in revenue service.
 #1633563  by BuddCar711

flynnt wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:25 pmSepta has sold naming rights for stations to local health systems and also a local convenience store.
Though said convenience store got scammed by SEPTA because the station that's named for said convenience store had that name before the station closed down in the 1980s.
 #1633586  by JeffK

BuddCar711 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:15 am
flynnt wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:25 pmSepta has sold naming rights for stations to local health systems and also a local convenience store.
Though said convenience store got scammed by SEPTA because the station that's named for said convenience store had that name before the station closed down in the 1980s.
Except that Wawa Markets is named for the town of Wawa, a name that's also used on local roads, etc. The town name in turn was taken from the name of a local estate, "Wawa" being the Ojibwa word for "wild goose". In fact the company grew from a still-operating local dairy which also is named "Wawa".

IMHO it's equally possible the station name is place-related rather than hoagie-based.
 #1633616  by rcthompson04

Sort of an obscure SEPTA/Amtrak fact, but Norfolk Southern has trackage rights to operate on the Paoli-Thorndale Line east of Frazer. I don't know if a freight has operated east of Frazer in my lifetime (37 years).
 #1633677  by dcipjr

flynnt wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:25 pm Septa commuter rail has no restrooms on board.
Did you know that some of the Bombardier coaches did have restrooms, as did some of the Silverliner IIs (#201-216)?

All of the restrooms were either removed during refurbishments—or if they remained, were locked, with all the fixtures removed.

I saw a conductor keeping his bag in one of the Bomber restrooms once.

The oldest BSL subway stations also have restrooms, though I believe all are locked.
 #1633710  by ExCon90

As far back as Penn Central days many MP54s had their restrooms permanently locked, and EQUIPMENT LOCKER stenciled on the door, so it can't be completely laid at SEPTA's door.
 #1633834  by JimBoylan

WashingtonPark wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:41 amIn the summer of 1976 the New Hope Railroad actually ran a commuter train to Warminster in the morning and afternoon to connect with Septa. The train to Warminster in the morning and the one to New Hope in the afternoon would work the freight so it was actually a mixed train. I rode it one day . On the way back we had a couple of hopper cars in the consist. This continued for a very short time. Only 2 or 3 months if memory serves correctly.
Though tickets were sold. That connecting service ran on weekends from late Spring to late Fall, with 4 or 5 round trips each day. The weekday service starting in mid June ended before Labor Day. All 3 of the regular commuters asked that the subsidy be continued.
 #1633883  by motor1

flynnt wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:25 pm Septa commuter rail serves 3 states.
Into one of which, the two lines entering it barely tiptoe before terminating.
Septa has sold naming rights for stations to local health systems and also a local convenience store.
And one of its subway stations is sponsored by an energy company. The previous sponsor of that station was a telecommunications firm.
 #1633910  by ExCon90

According to Wikipedia Claymont to Newark is ~35 miles--considering the size of
Delaware, more than a tiptoe. Chestnut Hill West to Fox Chase via Center City is less than that.
 #1633947  by R36 Combine Coach

SEPTA has both Arrow I and Arrow IIs as cab cars.
amtrakhogger wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:43 pm Septa's AEM7's were rated at 125mph but never ran that in revenue service.
The ALP44s were as well, and likely the ALP46s (though only allowed 100).

JimBoylan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:29 pm
WashingtonPark wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:41 amIn the summer of 1976 the New Hope Railroad actually ran a commuter train to Warminster in the morning and afternoon to connect with Septa. The train to Warminster in the morning and the one to New Hope in the afternoon would work the freight so it was actually a mixed train. This continued for a very short time.
Though tickets were sold. All 3 of the regular commuters asked that the subsidy be continued.
Would make a good weekend excursion for those interested in visiting New Hope/Lambertville with joint through fares. Ride from Center City or elsewhere, change at Warminster and straight to New Hope.
 #1633963  by motor1

ExCon90 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:46 am According to Wikipedia Claymont to Newark is ~35 miles--considering the size of
Delaware, more than a tiptoe. Chestnut Hill West to Fox Chase via Center City is less than that.
I was referring to New Jersey's Trenton and West Trenton stops and their distance from the PA border, not from CC.

As for "tiptoe", I probably should have used "barely sticks their toes into [name of other state]" instead.