Railroad Forums 

• Private Varnish Chartered Trip Ideas

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1633123  by marco

ALB->NFL sounds exciting. Have we got a tentative number of interested parties? I'm thinking 20+ would be necessary to reduce the individual cost.
 #1633125  by Tadman

Perhaps MSP-Duluth if that line ever gets off the ground, then over North Shore Scenic to Two Harbors. Even better, up the DMIR/CN into the iron range. Perhaps up to Virginia or Biwabik.
 #1633175  by Railjunkie

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:22 pm I'm leaning towards Albany - Niagara Falls using Webb Rail's Northern Pacific Dome/Coach 549, pictured:

Of course, there is the matter of pricing. Capacity is 59 in three sections: Dome Lounge 24; Downstairs Lounge: 9; Downstairs Coach: 26. Here is a diagram:

2 nights in Niagara; we could try and obtain a group rate, which leaves two evenings and a day to spend. Hotel will be the responsibility of the travelers. There are three different trains: the Maple Leaf 63, 281 and 283 out, 280 and 284 along with 64 back. The trains back aren't at the best times; the Maple Leaf seems to be the best, but can they switch that at NFL? Otherwise, NFL would be an early a.m. departure.

I'll reach out to Webb to get an idea on pricing, and then set a price based upon seating and determine a minimum number to make it work.
If your just wanting to travel to just NFL rule out AMT63, I think you would incur an extra cost for switching the car off the train if Amtrak would even do it.

The equipment turns in NFL:
63/64 281/280 283/284

I have not been up there in over 20 years and as such have not seen the new station or facilities. I'm sure Amtrak will bang you for some form of switching/storage fee, John may be able to answer those questions.

Another trip if your thinking about a dome is to Montreal in mid to late October along Lake Champlain. One of the best rides in the country.
 #1633329  by marco

There was this gentleman who created railfan excursions, "Ride We Me Henry". He even had hats for his group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/477532115697036

He lived in NY Southern Tier, near Binghampton, and would rise at O Dark Thirty, and drive to either Netcong NJ or Port Jervis NY, and gather followers along a pre-planned trip, either to Metro NY or Philadelphia to ride SEPTA.

On another railfan website, there was talk of taking LIRR from Penn Station out to the Long Island Ferry, up to Ct, and catch either Amtrak to return to Penn or MNRR to return to GCT.

This would be a reasonably priced day drip, and would be an excellent opportunity to Meet & Greet.
 #1633331  by MACTRAXX

Marco - WHICH Long Island to Connecticut Ferry? There are TWO options that I know of using the LIRR:

1-Port Jefferson (PJ Branch) to Bridgeport using the PJ-Bridgeport Ferry - at Port Jefferson use the #51 bus
from the PJ Rail or walk the roughly mile and a half from the LIRR station to PJ Village and the Ferry terminal
much of which is a steady downhill northward...In Bridgeport the Ferry terminal and MNCR are adjacent...

2-Greenport (Main Line) using the Ronkonkoma-Greenport "Scoot" then the #92 bus between Greenport
Village and Orient Point for the Orient Point-New London Ferry - in NLC the Amtrak Station and NL-OP Ferry
are walking distance from one another which is certainly not the case in Greenport in which they are some
distance apart requiring a bus or taxi ride between the two...

Suffolk (County) Transit information for the #15 and #92 Bus routes www.sctbus.org

If there are at least 15 to 30 people an MTA Group Fare can apply for a pre-scheduled LIRR and/or MNCR trip:
https://new.mta.info/fares/group-travel ... etro-north
Or - Call (718) 558-7419 between 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM Monday thru Friday except Holidays...MACTRAXX
 #1633372  by ExCon90

I did the PJ-B'port trip a few times in the now-distant past, and it's a delightful, leisurely trip; you can come in from a suburb and make a mid-morning departure from NYP (or presumably also GCT now). The downhill walk from the station to the harbor at PJ isn't taxing for the physically able and there is or was an excellent restaurant right at the harbor where you can pay your check and finish your coffee as you watch the ferry come in, then stroll over and catch the boat. Take MN back from B'port to GCT and maybe have a drop of something at the Campbell Apartment if that's still open.
 #1633387  by marco

Oh, Boy ... speaking of GCT & The Campbell strikes a nerve . . . Just checked, it's OPEN!

When I found trip suggestion, I wrote it all out in a travel book (to visualize all connections) and I think I ended up at the Oyster Bar, which never gets old for me.

However, had forgotten about The Campbell, and was interested when they opened to the public, however, never had occasion to visit.

OK... while the thread is about "Private Varnish", however, ideas grow organically, expand our ideas . . . I'm interested in this Railroad.net gathering, I'm pretty sure el Jefe would be interested . . . who else has an interest in a meetup?
 #1633816  by NaugyRR

marco wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:16 pm Can we meet & greet at Naugatuck RR?
I do like the idea of a charter trip on the Naugy, maybe a repeat of the MBRRE Torrington Special with a stop for lunch/dinner at Torrington?