Railroad Forums 

• MP72/75 Conversion Question.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1632175  by ConstanceR46

Hello. I might have asked a simplified version of this in the past, but i have a few questions about the conversion program.

1. Is it correct that the MP72c/75c units originally converted were control coaches?
2. If so, was there ever any thoughts given to using the existing MU control stands/positions as cabs for push-pull operations, ala Consitituion Liners and Boise Budds?
3. Why were the windows for the vestibules completely sheetmetaled over? Occams razor says cost, but wouldn't it be cheaper to paint them over ala P54s, or otherwise retain the window frame?
 #1632177  by BobLI

The GP38-2 did not have head end power to supply the cars . Only some MP15 were set up to supply power to the cars. So cab cars could not be used. That’s why they used FA control cabs with head end power. Then both type of engines could be used gp38, mp15
 #1632293  by MACTRAXX

CR46: From what I recall -
1-MP72 and MP75 MU cars converted to push-pull were both motors and trailers with and without cabs...
2-No. At that time (early 1970s) there was strong opposition from the BLE to any cab cars - The (original)
FA unit conversions provided the engine crew the front-end protection that they wanted along with the
650 VDC power from the converted prime mover hence their nicknames "Power Packs"...
3-The front-end cab windows and headlight were plated over with sheet steel upon their conversion...
Retaining the glazing albeit painted over would have only become another target for vandals and a
potential maintenance headache for the LIRR...

See the LIRR push-pull conversion overview topic below on LIRR Forum Page 1 (last post May 7, 2023)
MACTRAXX
 #1633713  by Engineer Spike

The Budd Car crash had lots to do with it. I have to ask, since the last batch of C420s with the HiAd trucks lasted so much later than the earlier ones, di they get used much on the push pull trains, or had the been relegated to freight?
 #1633763  by ConstanceR46

It definitely wasn't unheard of for L2s to be used on passenger service, but as they grew older they were primarily used on freight. Then when Ronkonkoma was electrified they became surplus and you know the rest.