Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1631993  by Blackseal Jim

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:39 pm There is a video on Facebook of low-hanging (telephone?) wires at the Okerson Rd crossing getting touched by the train. Nothing major, but those wires are bouncing in the video...
That's the video I took and posted on my Freehold Secondary site . The centerbeams were definitely hitting the Verizon wires. I contacted a friend about this who is affiliated with the railroad . Hopefully Verizon will raise them quickly.
Jim Hurley
 #1632104  by Bracdude181

Almost all of the new lights are in at Squankum Road. They are still running on the old relay case. Guess the new one isnt hooked in yet.

All lights installed are the typical modern Conrail setup. General Signals Type 3 E bells,
Safetran LED lights, Siemens pole bases. Odd. I was expecting a C&D setup…
 #1632109  by pumpers

Blackseal Jim wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:54 am
JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:39 pm There is a video on Facebook of low-hanging (telephone?) wires at the Okerson Rd crossing getting touched by the train. Nothing major, but those wires are bouncing in the video...
That's the video I took and posted on my Freehold Secondary site . The centerbeams were definitely hitting the Verizon wires. I contacted a friend about this who is affiliated with the railroad . Hopefully Verizon will raise them quickly.
Jim Hurley
My guess is that the problem was some stray object sticking up from one of the cars. Or was it multiple cars hitting the wire, as the above post says? It is hard to imagine all clearances weren't checked as part of refurbishing the line. Hopefully all went well with today's train.
 #1632116  by R&DB

CharlieL wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:04 am It looked more to me like the engine exhaust shook the wire; I could not discern an actual hit, though others have said they could. Regardless, the lines need to be raised. That's on the utility that owns them, probably not Verizon.
Actually probably is Verizon. The lowest lines on the pole are usually telephone.
 #1632118  by Ken W2KB

R&DB wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:17 pm
CharlieL wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:04 am It looked more to me like the engine exhaust shook the wire; I could not discern an actual hit, though others have said they could. Regardless, the lines need to be raised. That's on the utility that owns them, probably not Verizon.
Actually probably is Verizon. The lowest lines on the pole are usually telephone.
Correct. There are four sections to joint use utility poles. The upper section is the electric space, below that is the clearance space to which nothing can be attached except in some circumstances a static ground conductor, and below that the communications space, and below that the ground clearance space.
 #1632131  by pdtrains

(You must live in New Jersey, or some other fairly densely populated area. There are no downed telco lines around here in central Calif. And we still have our land line, which we use mostly for business. Its only 20 bucks a month, and it works if cell lines or power goes down...
 #1632155  by Blackseal Jim

Something on a few cars hit it . I started noticing when I was filming that the wires were bouncing as the train moved under .
Jim Hurley