Railroad Forums 

• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1609073  by BobbyT

I think heading WB, the existing track at the Saco station transitions from the old EB track to the old WB track alignment between the 2 Saco river bridges, so that would definitely need to be re-engineered. If I recall, I think the city of Portland really pushed to have the double iron reduced to single through the city (why I don't know), so not sure how much they would support such a project. Filling in those two 15 mile gaps you mentioned would probably be their best bet.
 #1609116  by hillsboyro

That's an exciting prospect! It was double tracked "back in the day" wasn't it? Amtrak originally said they weren't supportive of the CSX buyout, is that still the case? This would make it seem like Amtrak would like it. Also, I heard a rumor (from a railfan so take with multiple pinches of salt) that Amtrak was looking at buying the track. Does that hold any water?
 #1609120  by MEC407

hillsboyro wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:21 am Also, I heard a rumor (from a railfan so take with multiple pinches of salt) that Amtrak was looking at buying the track. Does that hold any water?
No, that wouldn't make sense. CSX just spent hundreds of millions of dollars to buy it; they're not going to turn around and sell it to someone else, and there's no reason why Amtrak would want or need to spend that kind of money to buy it.
 #1609230  by markhb

BobbyT wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:03 pm I think heading WB, the existing track at the Saco station transitions from the old EB track to the old WB track alignment between the 2 Saco river bridges, so that would definitely need to be re-engineered. If I recall, I think the city of Portland really pushed to have the double iron reduced to single through the city (why I don't know), so not sure how much they would support such a project. Filling in those two 15 mile gaps you mentioned would probably be their best bet.
If Portland really did ask to have the double track cut down to single, I'd imagine that the 8 residential grade crossings between Brighton and Forest Aves. had a lot to do with it. But just going by Google Maps, the line is currently doubled from Rigby to just east of Congress St. (after former Union Station, prior to the Park Ave. bridge which was built for 6 tracks). It then crosses Brighton, those 8 crossings I mentioned, Forest Ave. and Walton St. After Walton St., it returns to 2 tracks across Read St. and through Deering Junction, where the second track comes to an end just before Allen Ave. On the other side of Allen, the passing track begins. So there's actually a fair amount of double track remaining in the city, although I don't know how much, if any, of that second track has been upgraded to 115# CWR.
 #1612940  by PT1101

On January 5 and 6, the rail train that has been parked on Walnut siding will begin unloading in the Wells area as part of the double tracking project. As such, Downeaster trains 680 and 682 will run from Brunswick to Boston. Trains 681, and 686 will not operate. Trains 685, 687, 688 and 689 will operate as normal. Train 684 will operate between Brunswick and Wells, where passengers will be transferred to busses for points west. Train 683 will operate from Wells to Brunswick once the busses from Boston arrive. If I hear of any updates, I'll be sure to pass the information along.
 #1614507  by artman

MaineDOT Three Year Work Plan - Passenger Rail:

From MaineDOT website: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/f0 ... 02f5c43290

Passenger Rail

This Work Plan provides $53.1 million ($17.7 million annually) in operating funds for the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority (NNEPRA) Downeaster passenger rail service. The Downeaster, operated by Amtrak, provides five daily round trips between Boston’s North Station and Brunswick, serving 12 stations and including stops in Wells, Saco, Old Orchard Beach (seasonally), Portland, and Freeport.

MaineDOT works closely with NNEPRA to determine investments in passenger rail in Maine. In accordance with the Maine State Rail Plan, there are substantial investments in passenger rail that are ongoing or in the planning stages for the near term. This work is subject to funding, which in many cases will require discretionary grants. Work includes the Wells Station Double Track and Platform ($31 million), Positive Train Control ($100 million), Portland Station Relocation ($35 million), West Falmouth Train Platform Parking, Thruway and Commuter Bus Connection - Lewiston-Auburn and Portland, and a Rockland Branch Coastal Connection Service Extension Pilot (TBD).

Passenger rail highlights:

Providing operating funds for NNEPRA’s Downeaster service ($53.1 million).

Providing NNEPRA with capital funding for projects ($6.8 million).
 #1631643  by MEC407

From MaineDOT:
MaineDOT wrote:The Maine Department of Transportation and CSX are working to make safety improvements and improve track conditions at a railroad crossing on Route 4 in North Berwick. This project will result in a safer crossing for vehicles; it will also allow the Downeaster to travel at increased speeds. MaineDOT worked with CSX to secure Federal Highway Administration grant funding to help support these safety improvements.

This work will require the closure of Route 4 at the railroad crossing just south of Buffum Road from Saturday, October 21st to Monday, October 23rd. Vehicle traffic will be detoured using Routes 9 and 236. This project will also cancel several Amtrak Downeaster trips on Saturday morning. The cancelled trains are 691, 693, 694, and 698. Ticketed passengers are eligible to receive a refund and/or may be re-accommodated on operating trains by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL.