Railroad Forums 

• New CSX Mileposts

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1630033  by johnhenry

Interesting about Shay. That location used to be used for the east side of New Bond st on the Worcester line.
 #1630035  by newpylong

Over the years Guilford and then Pan Am gradually reduced DCS and thus increased other than main trackage/YL in dark territory on several occasions. They did so on the Rotterdam Branch moving start of DCS from MP1 out to Scotia, and on the other side from CPF-477 down to Burnt Hills. On the Worcester Main they moved it from Shay to Burncoat and from Harvard to ex-MP25 on the other end. I am sure there are other locations where I wasn't qualified.

Easier to make switching moves without paper but kills velocity and makes it harder for the crews who need to run longer at restricted speed. They also couldn't figure out how to get the CSX crews to properly cancel the Form Ds on POSE when they got on at New Bond.

It all worked fine for decades I think personally they were just lazy and didn't want to deal with Track Warrants any more than they had to. It's not like they really cared how long it took to get over the road anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised to see CSX and B&E reverse some of these down the road.
 #1631621  by markhb

Something weird I noticed. The new milepost at Forest Avenue in Portland (Crossing # 837478C per the blue sign on GSV) is plainly visible when driving by, at least westbound, but former MP 195 has apparently been replaced with new MP 10, rather than 11 as I would have expected from the tables above. Did the origin for the Portland subdivision change from what we anticipated?
 #1631638  by neman2

Keep in mind the mileposts listed in that table are not the actual milepost of the CP location but the nearest whole number milepost to that location.
If you use the FRA website----https://fragis.fra.dot.gov/gisfrasafety/ you will see Forest Ave is old M.P 195.02 which if you apply the CSX renumber factor of minus 185.0 gives you new M.P 10.02.
I hope this helps. Also remember my list is something I put together making some educated guesses, I don't work for CSX and they could change things at any time if they feel the need.