Railroad Forums 

• Foxboro Event Service

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1628027  by wicked

Posting here because I don’t know if this is worthy of its own thread.

I took the event train last night to the stadium to see Bruce Springsteen. It was not a packed house, but we still didn’t feel like dealing with Route 1 traffic.

I’ve been on an event train once, years ago, before Gillette opened. (Aside: Foxboro Stadium was a dump.) Anyway, I’m aware of the limitations there. Last time I rode was well before that stretch of the Foxboro secondary was upgraded, so we were crawling along from Walpole on.

That’s why sitting on the train for a half hour to unload didn’t shock me, especially knowing that there was a Providence train coming in too and platform space was limited. Conductors apparently tried to communicate this, but the PA systems aren’t designed to deal with a bunch of loud, rowdy concert-goers, many of whom have tailgated before getting to the real tailgates. You couldn’t hear a thing.

So the issues:

1. Not enough platform space, especially since the train from Boston was a double draft.

2. No clear communication with riders as to why it took forever to unload.

My questions:

1. Is there any way a second track with an island platform can be built? I wouldn’t be surprised if the land on the other side of the station was wetlands or somehow protected, making this impossible.

2. Can a temporary platform (just an extension of a few hundred feet on either side) be built that would only be used on game/event days without violating ADA regulations?

3. The train seemed to have plenty of personnel, at least one conductor for every other car. Why isn’t there a better system to communicate with riders? Even a conductor using a bullhorn on the end of each car to make announcements would’ve been preferable.

Apologies for the lengthy post.
 #1630841  by OldColonyRailfan

Can a temporary platform (just an extension of a few hundred feet on either side) be built that would only be used on game/event days without violating ADA regulations?
I don't see why not, as long as it is high level
Conductors apparently tried to communicate this, but the PA systems aren’t designed to deal with a bunch of loud, rowdy concert-goers,
their pa systems suck, half don't even work
 #1630867  by The EGE

As part of the establishment of permanent service, the Kraft Group will complete design plans for a fully accessible station. As the MBTA’s Capital Investment Plan does not include funding for Foxboro Station, the MBTA and Kraft Group will partner to seek funding to deliver a fully renovated station that includes the construction of full-length high-level platforms to modernize the rider experience at Foxboro.
https://www.mbta.com/news/2023-09-28/fo ... ay-service
 #1630869  by Arborwayfan

I see that the trains from Boston and Providence are typically scheduled to arrive at Foxboro at the same time. Why not schedule one to get there fifteen or twenty minutes before the other one, so that no one has to sit waiting on a stopped train? Total capital cost: nothing.
 #1630938  by wicked

One train has to unload and then back out of the station. It’s a packed train so it’d take at least 10 minutes. Then you have to do checks and make the backup move while people are (yes, stupidly) walking on the ROW from cheaper parking on either side of the stadium. Also, which train loads first after the game? A longer platform is the more logical answer.
 #1631023  by Disney Guy

Is it a hassle hustle getting from your seat on the far side of the stadium, through the thick exiting crowds, over the 1/3 mile to the station, get your ticket activated at the kiosk, and onto the train probably at the door furthest from you?

Are trains so packed that a few last minute unticketed persons result in other persons left behind?
 #1631144  by wicked

You have to buy a round-trip ticket. You’re given wristbands when you board. You could board the return trip I suppose sans wristband, but you’re SOL if they check. Also I’ve never seen anyone validate the ticket at a machine. I’d imagine 90 percent of purchases are through the mticket app.
 #1631322  by jamoldover

wicked wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:03 am One train has to unload and then back out of the station. It’s a packed train so it’d take at least 10 minutes. Then you have to do checks and make the backup move while people are (yes, stupidly) walking on the ROW from cheaper parking on either side of the stadium. Also, which train loads first after the game? A longer platform is the more logical answer.
Another possibility would be to extend the siding an additional 1/2 mile or so, and add an interlocked crossover - that way the Boston train (assuming it was the one arriving first) simply pulls forward and uses the crossover to get into the siding out of the way of the Providence train. All of the reversing (brake checks, etc.) can then be done after the train has unloaded when there's plenty of time. If you need to ensure freight operations can continue during the event, make it a double crossover so the freight can get around the two parked passenger trains.