Railroad Forums 

• Track Next to Convention Center

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1630607  by Stp243

So guess I'm old now, because I remember when this was put in as part of the big dig redesign of this area. The track (referred to as track 61) was intended to maintain freight rail access to the South Boston Waterfront. As far as I know there was never a revenue run down this track to the waterfront/docks since there are no active customers down there.

If you go to google earth you can see the tracks running down to the water. Follow Haul Road from the Convention Center to Drydock Ave and eventually to the docks.

Over the years there have been rumblings here and there about getting customers in this area online but honestly, I think this line is dead forever.

Wikipedia has a write up of the track here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_61_(Boston)
 #1630611  by BandA

If there is ever a war in Europe (cough, Ukraine, cough) you would need some tracks. Or imagine if there were tracks to a container terminal (oops no space for a yard).
 #1630617  by CSRR573

I believe they rebuilt the part the goes Infront of the convention center when the center was built too
 #1630699  by caduceus

I was there just 3-4 years ago and noticed how NEW the track and the right-of-way looked, like it was just recently built. It looks like the tracks were cut just after Pumphouse Rd. though.
 #1630718  by expbusop

I was there for the past few days for a conference. Where it runs along the side of the convention center before it goes under Summer St the is a large quantity of what looks like new track material piled up. Ties, switch components ect, piled on the ROW. Some of the ties look longer than regular ones could it be for the Red Line test track third rail?
 #1630775  by wicked

Whatever happened to the impractical, illogical Track 61 shuttle that was promised by the MCCA? There’s a thread on here talking about it with a lot of info on why it’d never work.
 #1630939  by neman2

One thing I know it was used for was for shipping long steel pipe piles that were used for bridge footings on the Big Dig project. They were delivered to the site via Track 61 to the yard pre-convention center.