Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1629512  by p42thedowneaster

I imagine there was much more distrubiton of the weight with the long transformer car having multiple sets of trucks. The crane is only about 40ft long and on 2 trucks, although it does have tri-axle trucks.

A similar 250ton brownhoist comes in at 380,000lbs http://www.readingrailroad.org/roster/r ... 90901.html

For ref:
Gp38 252 comes in at 250,000lbs
 #1629743  by Who

In terms of useful qualities, the side dump cars would have been more useful than the big hook. Of course, you could say the same thing for the Hobo and Winnipesaukee, both are prone to washouts. Does the railroad even have a way to move large amounts of soil and big rocks if needed?
The side dump cars went to the Batten Kill Railroad, correct?
 #1629768  by p42thedowneaster

Perhaps big hook might be nice to have for lifting cars or locomotives, even just to change out traction motors, wheels, etc... Seems like they have crane in once or twice a year lately.

As to washout restoration...I think both the Glen Ellis washout area and 4th Iron were thankfully somewhat "accessible" by truck to deliver the rip rap. Even if you had a side-dump car I suppose it would be hard to use if the track was floating like it had been.
 #1629823  by Who

You got me there; I suppose the big hook could be useful if its kept serviceable.

As for the side dumps, they could be helpful to reach the areas not close to a road, just getting the material in as close as possible would probably help, even in terms of preventative maintenance not just repairs.
 #1630434  by Who

I have a curiosity question: Back in 1994 when the railroad was getting ready to expand, does anyone know if they ever looked at what the MBTA had? Didn't the MBTA have FP10's with extended range dynamics for sale at the time? Didn't they also have Boise Buds that they were looking to dispose?
 #1630852  by bostontrainguy

Who wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:01 am I have a curiosity question: Back in 1994 when the railroad was getting ready to expand, does anyone know if they ever looked at what the MBTA had? Didn't the MBTA have FP10's with extended range dynamics for sale at the time? Didn't they also have Boise Buds that they were looking to dispose?
Anyone know where this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYmqZ8vKnRc

Update: Found this in the comments:
Those cars are owned by the Plymouth and Lincoln Railroad or commonly known as the Hobo Railroad just around the corner. They purchased a ton of those RDC cars, most coming from the MBTA. As well most of the fleet the MBTA had were from the Boston and Maine, that’s why there was a Boston and Maine car mixed in.
 #1630911  by p42thedowneaster

Quite a few of the fully modified Boise Budds are at Grand Canyon. These are the ones that had the roof "exhaust" bumps removed and HEP added. I think the Hobo only has a couple MBTA modified Budds, but theirs are of the ones which retained the proper roof line of an RDC. The others at Lincoln, I think, are mostly de-motered rdcs without HEP lines.
 #1632562  by NHV 669

Add MEC 998 (converted boxcar) and 999 (6 axle depressed center flat) to the ever growing collection at North Conway. They came west on the SLR Monday night. These are cars off the former wreck train.

Video by Coos County Rail Videos:

https://youtu.be/GSCnS3cEq9w?si=S6b0asdZ4VGTULLY