Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1630330  by Jeff Smith

Apparently, CT is not taking advantage of matching funds out there, and has a surplus in its transportation fund: CTMirror

What would you prioritize? My first priority would be New Milford to Danbury, and Danbury to Brewster. After that?

Separate topic for freight rail: conndot-freight-rail-wish-list-unspent- ... 76028.html
CT to leave big transportation funds unspent
But Connecticut has resisted that lure somewhat, leaving hundreds of millions of dollars unspent in its transportation fund since 2021 — and projecting another huge surplus in the program this fiscal year.
According to the treasurer’s office, nearly $5.4 billion in commission-approved bonding still hasn’t been issued, a backlog more than six times the size of Connecticut’s projected transportation borrowing this year.
More than 40% of the $2.15 billion fund covers the debt service on the bonds Connecticut issues to finance upgrades to its aging infrastructure, while another 40% pays for Department of Transportation operations and public transit programs. The rest covers the Department of Motor Vehicles and fringe benefits costs.

The STF is on pace to close $204 million or almost 10% in the black when the fiscal year ends June 30, according to Gov. Ned Lamont’s budget agency, the Office of Policy and Management.
 #1630363  by Train322

That is not needed and would be costly - no room - the building and parking area are in the way. Three tracks is fine in that area - even with Amtrak trains and peak hour trains,
I think it was discussed that Milford is not a bottleneck.
The top priorities are,
1) Hartford (Springfield line) double tracking and stations

2) Passing track in Springdale - New Canaan line
2) Passing track at Springdale (New Canaan line)
3) Extend passenger service to Norwich/Mohegan Sun as that is a non peak hour traffic generator. Cost problem is it may require electrofication.
4) Add rail link to Bradley Airport.
5) Perhaps extend passenger service to New Milford.
6) Perhaps connect Danbury to the Harlem line - would require third rail in CT (fencing) and perhaps using I 84 and I 684 right of way as well as NY construction but it would reduce the I84 merge from I 684. Probably would be cheaper to add a third lane on 84 from the 684 intersection however.
 #1630368  by shadyjay

So, if there's a surplus of funds, then why the SLE cuts?

Anyways...

(1) Restore SLE to full service, including the express trains to (at least) Stamford.
(2) Hartford Line:
(a) Double track from Windsor Locks to Enfield
(b) Extend passenger double-track from W Hartford to (closer to ) Hartford
(c) Infill stations: Enfield, North Haven, Newington Jct
(3) Extend Danbury Branch to New Milford
 #1630377  by Jeff Smith

Train322 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:52 pm
6) Perhaps connect Danbury to the Harlem line - would require third rail in CT (fencing) and perhaps using I 84 and I 684 right of way as well as NY construction but it would reduce the I84 merge from I 684. Probably would be cheaper to add a third lane on 84 from the 684 intersection however.
I’m pretty sure third rail is illegal in CT. I don’t think it’s really necessary.
 #1630378  by Train322

Change the law - either way - probably would not be done because the NY portion is changing to a rail trail and to add a third lane eastbount only on 84 would be the solution. I say electrify to run M7's through to Danbury which is a growing city.