Railroad Forums 

• That 1980 Lowel to Concord Commuter Rail Extension

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1630324  by l008com

So the story goes, in 1980 and into the beginning of 1981, MBTA extended service on the Lowell line up into Nashua, Merrimack, Manchester and Concord NH. An extension that could potentially be described as "an obvious no-brainer".

But whether or not service is ever restored, I was looking at the line on google maps earlier and I could not find a single station in those town on the line. Does anyone know *exactly* where those stations were in any of the towns?
 #1630326  by Allouette

All of the stops were at the locations of B&M stations, since the platforms were still in place. Nashua's was at Hollis Street, near the junction with the Bennington Branch and the former Worcester Nashua & Portland. Manchester's was just north of Granite Street. The station in Concord was at the bottom of Depot Street. The Trailways station there was built for the B&M after Concord Union Station was torn down. There may have been a stop in Merrimack, that would have been at the old B&M station site as well.
 #1630354  by l008com

Allouette wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:50 am All of the stops were at the locations of B&M stations, since the platforms were still in place. Nashua's was at Hollis Street, near the junction with the Bennington Branch and the former Worcester Nashua & Portland. Manchester's was just north of Granite Street. The station in Concord was at the bottom of Depot Street. The Trailways station there was built for the B&M after Concord Union Station was torn down. There may have been a stop in Merrimack, that would have been at the old B&M station site as well.
Wow all of those stations are gone without a trace. Looks like theres space to rebuild each one if it ever came to that but I was expecting decaying old unused platforms but theres just nothing.