Railroad Forums 

• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1629349  by Goddraug

Seems to corroborate what’s been said in these last few pages; they knew after the barge stopped that relying on one shipper would not be sustainable in the long run. I wish them best of luck.
 #1629473  by oibu

All of the current doom and gloom aside, does anyone have a good idea of how often and when PO-3 (or former PO-3. L077 I guess is what CSX is calling it now?) goes to Brunswick?
 #1629559  by District2Railfan

The L077 interchange with Midcoast tends to be a midday operation in Brunswick. It’s hard to put an exact time on it but generally if you’re there between 11am-2pm you’re likely to see something.

As for today, CSX dropped several hoppers in Brunswick sometime between noon and 3pm. I don’t believe Midcoast operated today so hopefully will catch them tomorrow.
 #1629582  by NHV 669

2310 just went light engine through Warren WB about an hour ago.

[Edited at 15:25]

And back east through Bath at 13:16 with 15 empties.
 #1629616  by oibu

Thanks for the info! Sounds like they probably are out of Rigby mid-late AM-ish and back mid-late afternoon-ish on the days they run.
 #1629849  by Goddraug

Video on the Midcoast Railservice Facebook page shows a short eastbound freight this morning with, among other cars, a single flatcar loaded with steel.
 #1629861  by BandA

The state owns the track. So who pays for maintenance? If midcoast only has to pay for the trains they roll then their break-even is fairly low.
 #1629880  by NYC27

The remaining freight revenue will barely cover the cost of a single full time employee. FGLKs owners are the types who don’t like to admit failure, but sooner or later they will come to grips with reality - they are done. Last rail shipments to come out of the mill in Dec or Jan.
 #1629890  by Goddraug

I find the stubbornness of FGLK refreshing. A railroad company who, despite a serious hit, is still willing to serve remaining customers while seeking to expand their traffic base? I’m happily surprised. A bit too early to start making sweeping assumptions about the line’s future when that’s the case.

I’m particularly interested in the steel flatcar from yesterday. I thought ASW wasn’t taking cars at their spot on the Rockland line anymore?
 #1629979  by NHV 669

8 cement loads, an empty flat and spacer boxcar for today's WB to Brunswick.

[Edited at 16:18]

18 empty hoppers and a steel load back east.
 #1630032  by newpylong

I also unfortunately do not share the optimism. If you take out the cement there isn't even enough left to pay for fuel, forget the crew. Unless they find another anchor consignee (or somehow grow the existing traffic exponentially) it's hard to see a path forward. Considering the amount of steel that BIW uses it's a damn shame they aren't just such a customer.
 #1630041  by Safetee

Well some of the good news is that ASA is a supplier to BIW.

Mike Smith is a long time rail traffic marketing guy who has done well massaging old traffic and bringing in the new.

The cement operation over the past 50 years has had a myriad of owners, shut downs etc and always seems to bounce back. And if Maine is thinking positively it might make some sense for considering weekday commuter trains from Brunswick to Damariscotta.