Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1629362  by AceMacSD

Blackseal Jim wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:02 am The 752 ran light from Farmingdale all the way to Okerson Rd in Freehold today
Twas a beautiful thing! Good to meet SOME of you out these past couple days. There's still work to be done but...a train ran before Sept 18 just like I'd said it would. To all the naysayers and those who've tried to interfere with this project, WE DID IT! Thank you to those of you who have supported this project and to those who've documented it's progress without the negativity. This'll mean some changes and a better way to support business in Ocean/Monmoth counties.

Talking with one of my CR brothers, it was almost 20 years ago that that section had been traversed last. Give it a bit more touch up and it'll look good as new.
 #1629366  by CR7876

This has been incredible to see. There have been so many other projects in this state that just never materialized to their stated potential. This one looks like its going to get to the finish line. If you told me just 5 years ago that the DL&W cutoff and the oos Freehold would both be rebuilt I'd have said you were crazy.

This part of Central Jersey ( thanks Governor for defining it) has been severely under served since before I hired out (2000). This isn't a knock on my employer, I understand the business side of this industry. To be able to run both lines as a single road/ operation is the best option.

I've had the pleasure of working and volunteering with the Black River guys for a long time, I can't wait to see what is next.
 #1629369  by GSC

What's refreshing about all of this is that no decades-long million dollar "studies" were involved, a minimum if any government roadblocks, and no NIMBY interference, just that C&D / D&RR got in there, rolled up their sleeves, and did it. Saw a need for it, and took care of it. A great job. A textbook example of DOING IT.

Congrats to all involved, and kudos to all the photographers and videographers who posted the progress so the rest of us could see it. Even though some of us live close by, we may not have the circumstances to go see it for ourselves. But we will.
 #1629373  by JohnFromJersey

Yes, it is great to be able to see history in motion and in person. Very rarely do you hear about abandoned/OOS rail lines coming back to life in not just New Jersey, but the entire country. The Freehold-Farmingdale connection is definitely of very high quality track.

An interesting post I saw in one of the Facebook groups mentioned earlier. One of the admins in said group stated that via someone he knows in Manchester's government, that there recently is/was a business in Manchester that is looking for rail service again. This business has a rail siding that is not connected to the main at this time, and said siding definitely needs some work, but it is there.
 #1629382  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:51 pm Only person that could be is probably the one guy just outside Lakehurst or one of the asphalt plants further up.
Perhaps planning to use the Navy's spur as a team track. Or one of the businesses on Ridgeway Blvd.
The asphalt plants are too far from the main.
Either way nothing is connected to the Southern below the Cross St. run-around currently. And there is nothing in Whiting that needs freight.
 #1629384  by CharlieL

Manchester is pretty big. It could be south of Lakehurst, off Clayton's track. Also Orgo-Thermit and associated companies are a pretty big operation. Was there maybe a spur into there at some time? Can't find any spurs on the old USGS maps but only looked at a couple.
 #1629385  by CharlieL

Looking closer at google maps, Orgo-Thermit did have a spur. There is still a road crossing at the site and a section of track next to one of the buildings. And there appears to be rail partially buried under N. Colonial Drive (their main access road).
 #1629391  by CharlieL

From the name, and the business next door with which I think (repeat, think) they may be associated, it's thermite type welding, like used for rail. And the semi buried track leads to that business, right up Colonial Dr. N. Look at the road closely, rail AND ties showing in places like they just covered over in gravel.

40.02346525949038, -74.30215811248844
 #1629405  by baju

Back in the mid 60s coming home from duty at Lakehurst on hope chapel road rt 547. I had to stop for a jersey central train master crossing the road into Clayton’s. I looked on Google Earth and you can see the remains of the right away coming off the main along Fremont ave and it looks like it runs unimpeded into the sand pit. Could they possibly be reactivating this?
 #1629411  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:17 pm An interesting post I saw in one of the Facebook groups mentioned earlier. One of the admins in said group stated that via someone he knows in Manchester's government, that there recently is/was a business in Manchester that is looking for rail service again. This business has a rail siding that is not connected to the main at this time, and said siding definitely needs some work, but it is there.
If it's who I'm thinking, their material quantity/use doesn't justify rail usage, even if they do want it. A transload option was already presented.

Orgo doesn't get materials that'd come from a rail supported supplier nor would their materials usage economically benefit from rail service. They've a piece of track on property used for training purposes and training purposes only.