Railroad Forums 

• Adirondack Suspended (Just like that its gone)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1629004  by Gilbert B Norman

Well. it looks as if this topic is evolving into a 9/11 Memories topic; we simply cannot allow 9/11 to go off into the memory clouds.

For those of us who "lived through it" - even if it was looking at a TV - let us remember that, as I noted earlier, there are now college graduates who weren't born on that day. The memory must not be extinguished.

I know for myself, Saturday Sep 8 was the memorial service for my Father, who had passed about two weeks prior. The family had gathered at my Sister's house in Greenwich with its view overlooking Long Island Sound. The day was crystal clear and the Twin Towers some 25 miles away as the crow flies quite visible. Imagine what it was like to observe same three days later.

For myself, the day started with a routine call to a State unemployment auditor regarding an upcoming client audit. The conversation ended with a "Mr. Norman, forget it, we have other fish to fry". I then called the client to share the good news. The office gal was crying and I'm of the "Fern, what's happened?" "Planes have crashed into the World Trade Center in New York, Gil, I'm praying for your family" (she knew I was from NY).

Well, the rest of the day was spent in front of the TV.

Eventually, I learned my Sister was "running around" in Greenwich and first learned about Noon. My Brother in Law was overseas on business, and my two nephews were in college - Providence and Charlottesville respectively.

My Niece had the story to tell. She was living in some "post college, pre life bunkhouse" in Lower Manhattan. She was riding Uptown on the Subway to work when it happened. Mass confusion of course when she alighted in the "West Eighties". Her "apartment" (six girls in space for two) was off limits, so she, along with many others, walked to 125th Street station, which had become Metro North's terminal and eventually was on a train to Greenwich - and Mom.

Again I note for those who hold 9/11 become a holiday? I think not. Those who lost their lives, be it NY, Wash, or Shanksville, were at or going to work, and were apart from their families. Soon, the holiday would "gravitate" to a three day weekend - and every retailer would be outdoing one another with "9/11 Blowout Sales Events".

Ask me, "how tacky".
 #1629016  by NH2060

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:15 pmI know for myself, Saturday Sep 8 was the memorial service for my Father, who had passed about two weeks prior. The family had gathered at my Sister's house in Greenwich with its view overlooking Long Island Sound. The day was crystal clear and the Twin Towers some 25 miles away as the crow flies quite visible. Imagine what it was like to observe same three days later.
My parents and I lived in the Riverside section of town at the time (I was in the 5th grade) and I recall my mom driving down to the end of Steamboat Road and seeing the giant cloud of dust over Lower Manhattan days later. The events didn’t affect me at the time (I was a bit of an emotionally numb kid when it came to things like that), but very surreal to think about now.

Interesting that 125th St. was being used as a “terminal” I thought the whole system was shut down until mid-afternoon to inspect the tracks and bridges for any sabotage and to reposition all the trains for an eventual orderly restarting of service (I think it was a Saturday schedule for awhile).
Again I note for those who hold 9/11 become a holiday? I think not. Those who lost their lives, be it NY, Wash, or Shanksville, were at or going to work, and were apart from their families. Soon, the holiday would "gravitate" to a three day weekend - and every retailer would be outdoing one another with "9/11 Blowout Sales Events".

Ask me, "how tacky".
Oh that rubicon was crossed 20 years ago. Here’s a clip of Lewis Black from The Daily Show mocking it:

https://www.cc.com/video/6q92y5/the-dai ... s-of-grief

In fact I saw a random bakery’s Instagram account post “to help bring a smile to everyone’s face we’re offering a 10% discount throughout the day”. I found that to be so tasteless (pun intended in spite of their clearly delicious looking pastries).

I very highly doubt that we’ll see any car dealerships or mattress/furniture stores do any “9/11 sales event” garbage though like what they do for Presidents Day, etc.

(Also just out of curiosity how did the 2nd inaugural return of the Adirondack go today?)
 #1629021  by Ridgefielder

eolesen wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:33 pm
BandA wrote:I don't know anyone that stops activity on 9/11 in remembrance of the terrorist attack.
They take a moment of silence at United and American, and both used to pause advertising for a few days around the anniversary.

I'm sure there are companies who were in WTC who do the same.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
The New York Stock Exchange, and all the Wall Street firms, observe four minutes of silence on 9/11-- at 08:46, 09:03, 09:58, 10:28-- the times when the planes hit the towers and then when the towers fell. Trading is halted: they sound the closing bell. It's considered bad form to even pick up the phone if it rings.

Cantor Fitzgerald, which was headquartered on the top floors of One World Trade, lost 658 employees-- almost 70% of headcount. All revenue generated by the firm on September 11 is donated to charity.
 #1629023  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. NH (the FL-9 that never was - 2060), I think this became our 9/11 remembrance discussion
topic when I gladly noted Mr. Junkie's report that the resumption of The Adirondack has been set back from Sep 11 to Sep 26.

I'd say you got a mighty good view of the destruction from the Indian Harbor Yacht Club at the foot of Steamboat Road.
 #1629027  by shadyjay

Train60 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:05 pm Anyone have any idea why the northbound Adirondack, which resumed service to Montreal today, departed NYP nearly six hours late?
https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2023/09/11/A/69
I saw something on FB earlier saying there were problems with the drawbridge at Spuyten Duyvil. Trains in the Am were being turned at Croton-Harmon.
 #1629031  by Railjunkie

shadyjay wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:30 pm
Train60 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:05 pm Anyone have any idea why the northbound Adirondack, which resumed service to Montreal today, departed NYP nearly six hours late?
https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2023/09/11/A/69
I saw something on FB earlier saying there were problems with the drawbridge at Spuyten Duyvil. Trains in the Am were being turned at Croton-Harmon.
The problem at the swing bridge at Spuyten Duyvil was it was closed on a barge and tug that are being used for maintenance. Somebody got some 'splanin ta do. As a result everything was late today with AMT 69 being the worst departing NYP at 2:33pm 4h51min late. The bridge however was only part of the issue, the engine also decided to act up. Ended up arriving Albany 5:34pm and departing at 6:07pm, 6 hours27min late. So with all the issues it was close to not running or being terminated in ALB/RENN. As of this post ETA into Rouses Point 1038pm down 6h8min add in customs and they could be in around 12:30 1:00AM. What a way to restart the service.
 #1629046  by Train60

69 (11) arrived in Montreal on 9/12 at 1:54 am.

Central Station normally closes at 11 pm so someone had to let the passengers out of the building. The Metro shut down at about 1 am. What a mess.
 #1629050  by Railjunkie

Train60 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:09 am 69 (11) arrived in Montreal on 9/12 at 1:54 am.

Central Station normally closes at 11 pm so someone had to let the passengers out of the building. The Metro shut down at about 1 am. What a mess.
A swag, train to the MMC 2:45am ish off duty around 3:15 to 3:30am rested 1130am. This morning cab to MMC for train paperwork and such get to Gare Central 12:45 1:00pm maybe ALB by 8:30pm. This is of course is dependent upon, IF Amtrak did not have VIA swing the train from and to Gare Central and an agreement was reached with the crew in regards to sign up and sign off times that has carried over from the D&H days. I don't see an issue with it but I know if it were me I would want to make sure I'm getting paid properly.
With all the issues yesterday should have terminated the train in ALB or never sent it out of NYP.
 #1629977  by andrewjw

Ridgefielder wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:33 pm The New York Stock Exchange, and all the Wall Street firms, observe four minutes of silence on 9/11-- at 08:46, 09:03, 09:58, 10:28-- the times when the planes hit the towers and then when the towers fell. Trading is halted: they sound the closing bell. It's considered bad form to even pick up the phone if it rings.
Just want to make a quick correction here - there is only one minute (before the 9:30 opening bell), and (pre-open, electronic) trading is not halted. They do ring the bell at 18 Broad, though, for the limited audience still present on the floor.
NYSE PAYS TRIBUTE TO THE VICTIMS AND HEROES OF 9/11 WITH A MOMENT OF SILENCE

On Monday, September 11, 2023, the NYSE will observe a one-minute moment of silence at 9:20 a.m. Eastern Time (ET) to recognize the anniversary of 9/11 and honor the victims, survivors and their families. A single strike of the NYSE Bell will indicate the start of the moment of silence.
Cboe to Observe Moment of Silence on Monday, September 11, 2023

Cboe Global Markets will join other market participants in commemorating the 22nd anniversary of the 9/11 attacks and honoring the victims, survivors, and their families by observing a one-minute moment of silence at 9:20 a.m. ET on September 11, 2023.

While trading will not be affected, we encourage market participants to join us in this silent tribute.
Nasdaq to Observe a Moment of Silence in Remembrance of 9/11

Tuesday’s Children, a national nonprofit organization that formed in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks of Tuesday, September 11, 2001 and provides support and services for families impacted by terrorism, military conflict and mass violence, will visit the Nasdaq MarketSite in Times Square.

On Monday, September 11, 2023, in remembrance of the 22nd anniversary of Tuesday, September 11, 2001, Tuesday’s Children will ring the Opening Bell.

Nasdaq will observe a one-minute moment of silence at 9:20 a.m. Eastern Time (ET) to honor the victims, their families and survivors of September 11th. The Nasdaq Tower in Times Square will also be displaying a message of remembrance for those lost in the attacks.
MIAX Exchange Group - Moment of Silence on Monday, September 11, 2023

Please be advised the MIAX Exchanges will observe one minute of silence at 9:20 A.M. Eastern on Monday, September 11, 2023 to honor 9/11 victims, survivors, and their families.

While trading will not be affected, we encourage our members and participants to join us in this silent tribute.