Railroad Forums 

• Adirondack Suspended (Just like that its gone)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1626188  by scratchyX1

west point wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:35 pm Maybe this route could be a candidate for DMUs? When needed they might lead a regular train to Saratoga or whatever and continue as maybe a 1 or 2 car train to the border especially when CN puts these heat restrictions in? No Canadian passengers on train beyond border until someone in Canada provides reliable bus connections to Montreal. South bound from border would just connect to end of train left at Saratoga and continue south. It probably would be best to base DMUs at Albany and maybe even add or remove at Albany?

It is time for Amtrak and state supported services to wake up about service. Use 2 power plant DMUs on thin routes which the Adirondack is especially in off seasons.. Of course DMUs are not available now. Also even the few RDCs left could not even meet these demands in the short term. Plus most of the few RDCs left do not have the second power plant anymore. Not good especially in winter time.
I seem to recall before the Aeros, there was a proposal for widespread DMU/EMU acquisition by amtrak.
 #1626225  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:42 am Duly noted, Mr. Junkie.

But lest we forget, Europe is also in the Northern hemisphere :P :P
I should have stated our little part of the Northern Hemisphere Mr. Norman. This is what happens when I type before coffee.

The first train to Saratoga ran today and it was glorious. Gloriously late it raced AMT 281 up the river. Ohh well so much for the first couple of races at Saratoga.
 #1628364  by Jeff Smith

Full Adirondack coming back: WCAX
Amtrak ‘Adirondack’ service to return this month

PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. (WCAX) - Amtrak’s “Adirondack” line is expected to return to the North Country in less than two weeks after suspending service in late June.

An Amtrak spokesperson says they are hoping to relaunch service on September 11. They say ticket sales are now open and anticipate any operational issues to be resolved by that day.

Service to the North Country stalled in late June due to the Canadian National Railway’s heat policy. At the time, Amtrak said the issues were on the Canadian side and required them to reduce speeds to as slow as 10 mph if temperatures were over 86 degrees.
 #1628493  by Gilbert B Norman

I reaIize there are college graduates today that were not yet born, but for the most of us around here who were alive on 9/11, there is "something not right" about resuming a train service on that day.

Thank you to whatever party caused the delay.

9/11 is a sacred day of remembrance that I hope never becomes a holiday, for all too quickly one furniture (especially mattress) retailer or the other will start having a "prices come crashing down" sales event, with all of them soon to follow suit.
 #1628663  by BandA

I don't know anyone that stops activity on 9/11 in remembrance of the terrorist attack. We pause and take note, remember where we were when we heard, and still worry that our enemies might want to celebrate the anniversary at our expense. We also don't stop on Dec 7th. Specifically, 9/11 is a cautionary tale about what happens when you pause too long you end up with a recession. A lesson we didn't remember in these Covid times.
 #1628723  by bridpath

I would very respectfully suggest that the return to "normalcy" is perhaps the highest tribute one can pay to that dark day. Remembering, we show that we were not overcome or broken and that life found a way in the midst of pain.
 #1628841  by Ridgefielder

I've always made a point of *going* to the office on 9/11.

Watched the South Tower fall from my office window in Midtown, knew a few who are now "names on the wall" down there at the Memorial. Rounded up a bunch of my friends who weren't doing anything because the markets were closed and spent the rest of that week unloading and loading trucks for the Red Cross.

The men on the planes were trying to disrupt my life, figured I wasn't going to let them.
 #1628853  by eolesen

BandA wrote:I don't know anyone that stops activity on 9/11 in remembrance of the terrorist attack.
They take a moment of silence at United and American, and both used to pause advertising for a few days around the anniversary.

I'm sure there are companies who were in WTC who do the same.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1628854  by eolesen

Ridgefielder wrote:I've always made a point of *going* to the office on 9/11.
I used to make a point of flying on 9/11.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1628855  by Gilbert B Norman

If this topic, prompted by that Amtrak chose 9/11 to resume a suspended service but has since set the resumption date back by two weeks, so be it.

There are those here, including one who may or may not choose to step up, that witnessed the first aircraft hitting North Tower 1.

While I was 800 miles away, but since all others in my family at the time resided in NY or area, I had one family member in harm's way, and another who was potentially.

So 9/11 is "personal of sorts", the flag will fly at my house come Monday.
 #1628980  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:43 pm If this topic, prompted by that Amtrak chose 9/11 to resume a suspended service but has since set the resumption date back by two weeks, so be it.

There are those here, including one who may or may not choose to step up, that witnessed the first aircraft hitting North Tower 1.

While I was 800 miles away, but since all others in my family at the time resided in NY or area, I had one family member in harm's way, and another who was potentially.

So 9/11 is "personal of sorts", the flag will fly at my house come Monday.
My first memories of 9/11 was waking up to the radio blaring the news, then groggily watching the upstairs TV witnessing the second tower collapse.

I heard from the NBC Today show this morning that two more victims were identified and next of kin notified. I've found a CNN article with more detail. 40% of victims still unidentified... and work continues to pick up the pieces.

For those who lived it, and for those who watched from afar, it is "personal of sorts." And I think having a flag flying is a good idea.

It would of been better flown from a train, though...
 #1628985  by Railjunkie

I woke up to hear about a plane hitting the World Trade Center Towers. Talking heads said it was a small plane, turned on the news just in time to see the second plane hit. I knew then it was no accident and the first plane was not small. Made a phone call to a high school buddy who was a Federal Agent at the time and asked WTF?. For the first and only time in his career I had him answer me straight up not in hypotheticals " Bin Laden" and he hung up the phone. The phone rang later that night with a extra symbol for a train full of doctors, nurses, medical supplies, and military personnel to NYP. On duty two nights in a row for this train, it never ran. It became quite evident that it was becoming a recovery mission not one of rescue.
During the weeks afterword I met many heroes who wore uniforms of the US military, State Police Departments, Full time and volunteer firefighters, construction workers along with doctors and nurses. I spoke with and cried with some, some didn't want to speak. But all had the same look in their eyes.
The day of the attacks and the weeks that followed are something I will never forget may all those who passed on that day rest in peace.