Railroad Forums 

• Standard gauge trucks for GE C36-7?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1627596  by Allen Hazen

(1) Thanks for the photo! Traction motors would be the usual 752 model used on domestic (standard gauge) units: I think I can see, at the left end of the near axle, where the gears were set a bit inboard. (Russian gauge is ??? about 80 millimetres wider than standard, so a 752 motor won't fill the whole space between the wheels.)
(2) Photo taken in ??? Estonia? Truck from one of the units operated by (I forget the name) a company related to (and sharing a locomotive color scheme with) the Wisconsin Southern?
(3) This sort of truck was used on domestic (North American) GE locomotives from 1966 to 1993. A lot have doubtless been scrapped (though if you want a pre-loved C40-8 with this truck design, I think Wabtech has a deal for you!) but there must be a lot of these trucks around.
 #1627606  by bengt

I was at Baltic Shipyard in Tallinn some 20 years ago to see the GE locos unloaded from ms Annegret with German officers and Philipine crew.
I am looking at the possibility of rebuilding some American diesel locomotives into priceworthy electric locomotives for 15 kV 16 2/3 Hz for possible use in Sweden. The advantage of the locomotives in Estonia is that they are close by and that they have SA3 (Willison) couplers at the right height.
However, it is desirable to use AC traction motors. Since AC motors are usually smaller than DC motors, they should be able to fit into the space that DC motors occupy.

There was good order at the Baltic Shipyard in Estonia, in contrast to what you usually see in Russia.