Railroad Forums 

• MARC Laurel Station closed for 2 months to replace platform

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1627251  by davinp

The MARC station in Laurel will be closed for 10 weeks starting this month.

The Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) said in a news release that starting on Monday, Aug. 21, the train station would be closed for an ongoing project to replace both of the platforms at the station as well as stairs and ramps.

The station will reopen on Oct. 29.

https://www.dcnewsnow.com/traffic/laure ... -2-months/
 #1627262  by STrRedWolf

I did visit Laurel at ground level (on foot) and the entire platform is wood. It was still looking good but I think it's been that way since 1995. I don't know if it has a replacement since then but it's worth it anyway.
 #1627285  by scratchyX1

davinp wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:51 am The MARC station in Laurel will be closed for 10 weeks starting this month.

The Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) said in a news release that starting on Monday, Aug. 21, the train station would be closed for an ongoing project to replace both of the platforms at the station as well as stairs and ramps.

The station will reopen on Oct. 29.

https://www.dcnewsnow.com/traffic/laure ... -2-months/
Any word on the laruel racetrack station rebuilding? There would be room for two sidings there, with high level platforms, and are already tunnels under the tracks.
 #1627295  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:30 pm Any word on the laruel racetrack station rebuilding? There would be room for two sidings there, with high level platforms, and are already tunnels under the tracks.
Are you sure? That "station" is just a tiny platform, and it's a flag stop in the afternoon rush to DC... which makes no sense. That said, the only time I remember it stopping there going to DC in the mornings was back in 1996 when I was going to college.

I'd want a usage study first.
 #1627310  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:05 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:30 pm Any word on the laruel racetrack station rebuilding? There would be room for two sidings there, with high level platforms, and are already tunnels under the tracks.
Are you sure? That "station" is just a tiny platform, and it's a flag stop in the afternoon rush to DC... which makes no sense. That said, the only time I remember it stopping there going to DC in the mornings was back in 1996 when I was going to college.

I'd want a usage study first.
http://www.trainweb.org/oldmainline/wa ... ointe.jpg
This rendering of the new development has a station similar to Halethorpe.
There is room for it there, but not at the existing station.
 #1627333  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:21 pm http://www.trainweb.org/oldmainline/wa ... ointe.jpg
This rendering of the new development has a station similar to Halethorpe.
There is room for it there, but not at the existing station.
Google Maps area in question.

I just drove over there today. The sat view is accurate -- nothing's changed from there. I parked over in general parking on the south side, as north-side is inaccessible (blocked off by construction fencing). Walked over...

It's effectively abandoned. A small platform on ether side of wood that's holding on but could use some TLC, overgrown steps, a broken PA system "with signage" and the only signs it's been looked at was notices dating to 2021. The underpasses are barely 7' tall and have "low clearance" all over them. I felt like I had to duck under them.

Having a CSX train come down the track was nice, though. Had a lot of Tropicana box cars at the front end.

Still, MARC Handicapped parking? WTF?

I also dived into the grandstand to get an "expensive" ($2) cold bottle of water (sorry, wasn't interested in that type of horsepower that was racing around the track). Parking lot wasn't full at all, and it was a light crowd for a 12:25pm post time. I kinda got the feeling it was "typical" since they usually have races between Wednesday and Sunday.

That said, there's plenty of room if they're going to do pocket tracks, raised platforms, and a bridge to get from one side to the other and to the racetrack itself. I'd fill in those tunnels, TBH... or have the Maryland Jockey Club provide shuttle service to the Laurel train station.

Still... I can't see it happening.