Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Proposes Adding New Service to Scranton

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1623904  by Gilbert B Norman

From Flemming's Akron--

Come what may for Joe next November, he has really cleaned up in namings in the Wyoming Valley.

I observed from I-81 a "President Joe Biden" Expressway. Who knows what else they have named for him.
 #1623907  by photobug56

Wrong county! :-)

Several decades ago, at my college graduation (then Bloomsburg State College), they introduced the speaker, the then very young Senator Joe Biden of Delaware. I knew next to nothing about him, and was wondering why he would have come to our graduation. Of course, he was much more connected to the region than I knew back then. Now, ignoring all other political considerations, I hope that he is able to help the region, including restoration of passenger train service to Scranton, and maybe someday, beyond. I now live elsewhere, but would once in a while take such a train if I could.
 #1623921  by amtrakowitz

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:58 pmFrom Flemming’s Akron—

Come what may for Joe next November, he has really cleaned up in namings in the Wyoming Valley.

I observed from I-81 a “President Joe Biden” Expressway. Who knows what else they have named for him.
Formerly the Central Scranton Expressway; built partially upon a former interurban rail route, namely the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley (commonly called the “Laurel Line”).

Spruce Street in the city is now called Biden Street.
 #1623935  by scratchyX1

amtrakowitz wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:20 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:58 pmFrom Flemming’s Akron—

I observed from I-81 a “President Joe Biden” Expressway. Who knows what else they have named for him.
Formerly the Central Scranton Expressway; built partially upon a former interurban rail route, namely the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley (commonly called the “Laurel Line”).

Spruce Street in the city is now called Biden Street.
Built over one portal to one of it's tunnels, closing it's use forever.
 #1623938  by JimBoylan

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:58 pmI observed from I-81 a “President Joe Biden” Expressway. Who knows what else they have named for him.
amtrakowitz wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:20 pmFormerly the Central Scranton Expressway; built partially upon a former interurban rail route, namely the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley (commonly called the “Laurel Line”).
scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:46 amBuilt over one portal to one of it's tunnels, closing it's use forever.
Dug out and reopened in 2001, trolley rides are scheduled Thursday - Sunday through Oct. 29 in 2023. https://www.visitnepa.org/things-to-do/ ... ey-museum/
 #1627291  by Dcell

From the Pocono Record newspaper, the day after the August tour of the proposed Andover-Scranton route:
"We completed the New Jersey side and looked at some potentially troublesome areas," said Cartwright. "We looked at some viaducts, two of which are in need of some repair, one of which is completely filled in and we have to figure out what to do with that. So, there are some design and engineering and construction challenges. The bridge…the viaduct that goes over the river is owned by Pennsylvania Northeast Regional Rail Authority right now and it's a fixer upper."
 #1627325  by Dcell

Surprising? No. But this project, if it advances, will be a more substantial and costly rebuilding than Brother Malski has stated. Does his rail authority have any money for rebuilding the Delaware River viaduct that it owns?
 #1627801  by amtrakowitz

Dcell wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:05 pmFrom the Pocono Record newspaper, the day after the August tour of the proposed Andover-Scranton route:
“We completed the New Jersey side and looked at some potentially troublesome areas,” said (Congressman Matt) Cartwright. “We looked at some viaducts, two of which are in need of some repair, one of which is completely filled in and we have to figure out what to do with that. So, there are some design and engineering and construction challenges. The bridge…the viaduct that goes over the river is owned by Pennsylvania Northeast Regional Rail Authority right now and it’s a fixer upper.”
Obviously Cartwright is fishing for excuses not to proceed with the project.
 #1627822  by scratchyX1

amtrakowitz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:38 am
Dcell wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:05 pmFrom the Pocono Record newspaper, the day after the August tour of the proposed Andover-Scranton route:
“We completed the New Jersey side and looked at some potentially troublesome areas,” said (Congressman Matt) Cartwright. “We looked at some viaducts, two of which are in need of some repair, one of which is completely filled in and we have to figure out what to do with that. So, there are some design and engineering and construction challenges. The bridge…the viaduct that goes over the river is owned by Pennsylvania Northeast Regional Rail Authority right now and it’s a fixer upper.”
Obviously Cartwright is fishing for excuses not to proceed with the project.
What is a filled in viaduct? It's not like they are filled with dirt.
 #1627864  by CRB

scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:40 pm
What is a filled in viaduct? It's not like they are filled with dirt.
Guessing he is referring to a road bridge over the ROW that has been removed and replaced with fill. IIRC, there is one on the PA side just past the Delaware River viaduct.
 #1627909  by Greg

CRB wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:14 am Guessing he is referring to a road bridge over the ROW that has been removed and replaced with fill. IIRC, there is one on the PA side just past the Delaware River viaduct.
Correct, the Cut Off ran underneath Slateford Road just before Slateford Junction. Now it is just earthen fill, but this would be relatively easy to reverse compared to the viaduct repairs.