Railroad Forums 

• Western Route Main Line

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1625039  by Engineer Spike

I've read all about when through trains were removed from the Western Route in the 1950s. From then on everything ran via the New Hampshire Route and Wildcat. Looking at some employee timetable from the 1970s, the remaining line was listed as a running track between Reading and Wilmington Junction. When was the Western Route reopened as a through route?
 #1625051  by edbear

Service to Haverhill was restored in 1979. The service was pretty limited at first, I think 4 or so M-F round trips. I'd have to dig out some timetables to see if they continued the Winchester routing or ran the Western Route all the way. It wasn't too long before service was expanded and both routes were used. The peak direction used the Western Route and to avoid any conflict on the single track between Reading and Andover St. (Lawrence) trips in the opposing direction were routed via Winchester. The Downeaster runs via Winchester to utilize the Anderson Transportation Center in Woburn with extensive parking and direct bus service to Logan Airport. And highway access with an I-93 exit right into the Center and right off Route 128 (I-95).
 #1626013  by Who

Did the B&M try to abandon Reading to Wilmington Junction?
 #1626017  by edbear

No. After the end of through passenger service, ABS and one main track were retired between Reading and Wilmington Junction. A local worked out of Lawrence down to Melrose or where ever. It was used for detour moves too. At least one gravel train from Bow, NH piled up around Montvale on the NH main and the passenger trains out of Lowell ran to Wilmington, backed up to Wilmington Jct. and came down to Reading on train orders. Early 1970s. Among other things demonstrates the versatility of the RDCs and the dedication of the managers.
 #1628476  by jbvb

I started using the Haverhill Line in 1988; at that time there were several active freight customers between North Wilmington and Reading.

Between 1959 and the construction of the new Orange Line in the 1970s, I believe local freight service ran from East Somerville up to Reading/North Wilmington. At least in the early years, another job went onto the branch at Wakefield Jct. toward Danvers. About 1974 the second track was removed between Wilmington Jct. and Lawrence, to scavenge rail but also to make Lawrence yard able to originate/terminate 100 car freights; its previous layout was designed for setoff/pickup only, and that had to be done across the Andover St. grade crossing. The B&M closed the Mystic Jct. hump yard about 1976 and started originating most local freights from Lowell and Lawrence instead.
 #1630464  by edbear

Here's the first schedule 12/15/1979
Attachments:
002.jpg
002.jpg (426.3 KiB) Viewed 644 times
 #1631776  by jbvb

I don't have B&M Employee Timetables after 1977, but it appears they replaced the automatic block signaling between Reading and Wilmington Jct. for Haverhill service restoration. The section of track through Reading station remained unsignaled for many years, and Reading had a Train Register.