• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CharlieL

Also the stone being put down Fairfield to Yellowbrook appears to be rip-rap to shore up problem areas. They did the same thing near Adelphia before any ties were placed. Rip-rap is larger than ballast.
  by JohnFromJersey

In any case, it will be done by December, when the Toys For Tots train is going to traverse Jamesburg to Farmingdale
  by CharlieL

AceMacSD wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:23 am That it will. Shooting for early Sept. It's shaping up to be a beautiful stretch of railroad.
Yeah, much better condition than most short line railroads. As I said, think the state is keeping their options open.
  by baju

I have a question. While visiting the Allenwood post office I observed several pictures of the Freehold Jamesburg railroad and small wooden station. As I’m 80 years old I remember all the pictures in real life except one. The picture in question was of a small stone station that looked as if it was located on the east and north side of Ramshorne drive and the railroad right of way(bicycle path). The station that I remember in real life was the one located at allaire park and was located west and south of Ramshorne Drive and Atlantic Ave. Do you think that was a mistake photo misplaced. I read somewhere that the shanty I remember was a replacement to a bigger station?? I wished I had taken a picture of it. So I could have posted it. Most of you guys and gals are relatively local. Maybe you observed the pictures also
  by AceMacSD

When scoping out the area before taking over the Freehold &Southern one of the guys brought me into that PO. It's good to see they're keeping old pics of the RR history. Next time we're down in that neck of the woods I swing by and check it out again. Skip the breakfast sandwiches at the general store.
  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:25 am Yeah, much better condition than most short line railroads. As I said, think the state is keeping their options open.
These parts of NJ need commuter rail. North Jersey has all the commuter lines, while Central and South Jersey barely get anything.

That being said, the existing conditions at Hoboken and the tunnels under the Hudson make it not ideal for NJT to open up new routes, that would add dozens of trains and thousands of commuters a day onto an already strained system.

Hopefully, Gateway fixes that
  by Ken W2KB

JohnFromJersey wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:10 pm
CharlieL wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:25 am Yeah, much better condition than most short line railroads. As I said, think the state is keeping their options open.
These parts of NJ need commuter rail. North Jersey has all the commuter lines, while Central and South Jersey barely get anything.

That being said, the existing conditions at Hoboken and the tunnels under the Hudson make it not ideal for NJT to open up new routes, that would add dozens of trains and thousands of commuters a day onto an already strained system.

Hopefully, Gateway fixes that
"During testimony before the Assembly Budget Committee , NJ Transit Executive Director Kevin Corbett said weekday rail ridership is fluctuating between 55% and 75% of pre-pandemic levels, depending on the day of the week, with Mondays and Fridays now lighter travel days. "

That, and ridership is generally lower than the average at more distant stations where work from home is even more attractive versus a long commute. By way of personal observation, the station parking lot at High Bridge which was generally full pre-covid is now one-third full of cars on Mondays and Fridays, and one-half full mid-week. Employers are thrilled to spend far less in payments for office space. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. Gateway is needed to sustain current levels given the need to refurbish the old tunnels, but even a return to past levels of ridership is deemed unlikely for a decade or more, if ever.
  by Bracdude181

That and NJT was horrible before the pandemic and hasn’t gotten any better. Losing track of how often I hear NJT have some form of issue on the corridor and coast line.

I’d imagine not many people wanna go back to that if they have the choice. Commuting can be very stressful.

And Ken is right. Makes no sense to even consider doing MOM until after the tunnel situation is resolved and they can increase capacity, and that’s not even getting into the fact that whatever the cost of it will be. Definitely far bigger than whatever it would’ve been when they considered it back in the 90s-early 2000s.

For what it’s worth, I think theses are better off being used as a way to keep trucks off the road in the region. Everyone wants drive and not take the train? Cool, but have fun getting stuck behind the semi truck hogging the left lane on Route 9 at 30 MPH as it ferries chinese intermodal containers or whatever godforsaken thing he’s carrying to and from Lakewood or generic distribution center #842.

Because that sure doesn’t get anyone mad after a while.
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:01 pm For what it’s worth, I think theses are better off being used as a way to keep trucks off the road in the region. Everyone wants drive and not take the train? Cool, but have fun getting stuck behind the semi truck hogging the left lane on Route 9 at 30 MPH as it ferries Chinese intermodal containers or whatever godforsaken thing he’s carrying to and from Lakewood or generic distribution center #842.

Because that sure doesn’t get anyone mad after a while.
Yeah now if we can only get trains to deliver to every Walmart & McDonald's and every other retail store, maybe we can just get rid of these troublesome trucks once and for all. As much as I'd like to have more work, it's not gonna happen. Your just gonna have to deal with the Lakewood traffic or you could just move out to a less densely populated area. There's no justification to short hauling those containers by rail anywhere beyond their north Jersey terminals or ports of entry. It's quicker to get the containers to/from the terminals by truck. Shipping by rail isn't always the answer.
  by Bracdude181

I know trucks are needed for the last mile and other specific situations where rail doesn’t work. It’s this just in time delivery garbage everyone does now. It doesn’t work with rail.

Its pretty sad because rail-served warehouses at one point was something we did so well that other countries actually looked at America at the time trying to do it with their railroads, and this was during the Penn Central era!!
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:38 pm I know trucks are needed for the last mile and other specific situations where rail doesn’t work. It’s this just in time delivery garbage everyone does now. It doesn’t work with rail.
and it won't work with sand. Speaking of which, LIRR's building a tunnel. How many sand trains have they used so far for that project and where did that sand originate?
  by GSC

baju wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:11 pm I have a question. While visiting the Allenwood post office I observed several pictures of the Freehold Jamesburg railroad and small wooden station. As I’m 80 years old I remember all the pictures in real life except one. The picture in question was of a small stone station that looked as if it was located on the east and north side of Ramshorne drive and the railroad right of way(bicycle path). The station that I remember in real life was the one located at allaire park and was located west and south of Ramshorne Drive and Atlantic Ave. Do you think that was a mistake photo misplaced. I read somewhere that the shanty I remember was a replacement to a bigger station?? I wished I had taken a picture of it. So I could have posted it. Most of you guys and gals are relatively local. Maybe you observed the pictures also
As I seem to remember, the original Allenwood station was damaged somehow and torn down. Not sure how it happened, maybe related to a derailment? The second station (the one at Allaire now) was built during WW2 and used by the Scouts, who helped arrange to have the building moved to Allaire.