• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Who

woodeen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:20 pm Not at all arguing with what you are saying. I am just coming at this from the angle that VTR is making this investment, why? They must have some reason, they must see some potential advantage. I just can't see what it is. The slurry business is the ONLY potential thing I can see, and as you say it just doesn't pencil out. When it is in-state I can sort of see how a state-owned entity can justify something like this (i.e., a service to state residents) but when it is an out of state investment it seems difficult to justify
You know something, when you "pencil it out" maybe they will link up St. Johnsbury, VT and Groveton, NH after all, nothing else makes sense, so why the hell not!
It seems like VTR is run on the back of a used napkin; maybe they are trying to become the next Patriot Rail, but these check for a pulse railroads, is all they can afford.
  by bigfreight

There has been some activity this week with Vermont Railway pickups going down the tracks from Groveton thru Lancaster and heading towards Hazen.
  by CSRR573

I would imagine that he move to deliver CSRR its new coaches should be happening soon.
  by NHV 669

Assuming the wreck train cars will be through as well, that's probably the main source of company rigs headed that way; the needed work at Hazens in preparation to allow them to get through. Specifically the crane, as others here have mentioned how heavy it is.

Haven't been down to look in a while.
  by NHV 669

NHV 669 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:13 am Spotted a VRS grapple truck parked in Lisbon facing east coming into work today. Maybe headed up north?
Saw the same truck in the same lot facing north again heading home just after 2 today. I know they're doing/did a tie job on the WACR, saw a bunch of track equipment at Wells River on Tuesday.

CSRX will have the Mountain Division open for service for the season again soon, wondering if anyone has ventured over to Whitefield lately.
  by CPF66

The boom on the crane will be removed at Groveton and loaded onto the dozer flatcar before the move to Conway as well. In addition to making it lighter for bridges, it will probably help with the move of the flat car. Both the MEC and B&M ones frequently derailed when empty.
  by CSRR573

Can the crane fit through the bridges on the Mtn Div? 4th iron 2nd iron etc. Assuming the set is stored in north conway, can the river road bridge support it?