Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1625558  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:26 am They were getting some decent headway on the washout by Manitou from MTA Metro-North's Flickr feed. Friday's a good safe guess on resumption of service, but I won't be surprised if they get it done by Wednesday.
I brought down AMT 234 from the shop to the station and is staged for tomorrow morning. There were crews deadheading by Lyft to the city for the morning trains out of the city. Of course this subject to change but we were told to expect a full schedule tomorrow.
Burlington service will not run again tomorrow the VTR is flooded and last I heard there was still too much standing water to even hi rail for inspection. Maybe truncated to Rutland but that's a swag. On the Vermonter side the NECR had a major wash out that will hamper service for months judging by the pictures I saw on FB. Sorry I don't have FB to share.
 #1625593  by mohawkrailfan

Railjunkie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:14 pm
JimBoylan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:53 pm If you can believe Amtrak.com, out of 11 Southbound trains from Albany-Rensselaer, NY to Penn Station, New York City on 7/10/23, only 5 were cancelled.

Nothing went south of Albany today there was regular service between Albany/Boston, Chicago, Niagara Falls and Toronto. Westbound service will continue as normal. Burlington train #290 was able to return today but #291 did not go north due to bad storms in Vermont. They already had some bad washouts on the VTR see Ludlow VT.
People on the LSL coming from Chicago were told to get off and find their own transportation to NYC. Some tried the bus stations in Rochester, some tried Syracuse, but a lot of those buses were sold out.
 #1625610  by Railjunkie

Regular service resumed today except service to Burlington. Those folks who came from Chicago and points west arriving Sunday thru Tuesday it was suggested to find other means to get to NYP. With Sunday being the worse day I think. I dont even think they were selling tickets to NYP from points west. I had to rescue AMT 64 with train control issues Monday at Hoffmans. The conductor was telling us station agents and train crews were advising people not to ride if they were looking to go past Albany.
 #1625617  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Junkie, I presume it will be a while, uh, quite a while, until any train - let alone a passenger train - can again operate over the Rutland RR:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/other ... r-AA1dLVfI

Now a little closer to civilization, I guess the Hudson Division is back in business for both Amtrak and Metro-North. Just as well, as my "Mad Men Don Draper and Peggy Olson" Nephew and Spouse, can now get out of their house in Cortlandt and RTO somewhere around Bway and 52nd.
 #1625623  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:09 am Mr. Junkie, I presume it will be a while, uh, quite a while, until any train - let alone a passenger train - can again operate over the Rutland RR:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/other ... r-AA1dLVfI

Now a little closer to civilization, I guess the Hudson Division is back in business for both Amtrak and Metro-North. Just as well, as my "Mad Men Don Draper and Peggy Olson" Nephew and Spouse, can now get out of their house in Cortlandt and RTO somewhere around Bway and 52nd.
That new 100ft gorge plus all those 100 year old bridges that have gone missing is on the Vermonter side of things. On a couple of off days and last I heard was a possibility of weekend resumption of Burlington service. As for the Hudson side of things MNRR is pretty quick about restoring service. I do recall about 20ish years ago when a culvert washed out in the Highlands they had it replaced ballasted and tamped in 3 days. No easy task with river on one side and rock cliff on the other.
Last edited by Railjunkie on Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1625633  by Allouette

Amtrak's tracker shows Vermonter 56 operating normally northbound, with no service alerts. There was no train in St. Albans this morning to make up the southbound Vermonter, so it will most likely begin with tomorrow's train. The Ethan Allen is only operating between New York and Albany due to "unforeseen trackwork".
 #1625727  by urr304

Mohawkrail wrote:
People on the LSL coming from Chicago were told to get off and find their own transportation to NYC. Some tried the bus stations in Rochester, some tried Syracuse, but a lot of those buses were sold out.

Do you wonder how little Amtrak is thought of? Even in the old bad days of private operation would passengers just be dropped off [well maybe PennCentral might] and told to fend for yourself. I recall several times the E-L hired Anderson Bus to run the passengers onward due to a derailment.
 #1625763  by Railjunkie

urr304 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:19 am Mohawkrail wrote:

Do you wonder how little Amtrak is thought of? Even in the old bad days of private operation would passengers just be dropped off [well maybe PennCentral might] and told to fend for yourself. I recall several times the E-L hired Anderson Bus to run the passengers onward due to a derailment.
Amtrak did have buses in Albany but do to the drivers being short on time do to HOS. The LSL being somewhere between HUD and RHI when the final word came about MNRR pulling the plug on operations the buses had left. To the best of my knowledge Amtrak has no standing contract with bus operators in case of emergency and are at the will of the operators. There have been times when the call has gone out only to be told we have no rested drivers or buses available.