Railroad Forums 

• CNJ Elizabeth Port station

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#846855  by Earle Baldwin

I work at the corner of Trumbull and First Streets so I wish the passenger trains were still running. The five minute walk to the office wouldn't have been a bad thing at all. Trying to get to Broad Street Elizabeth or North Elizabeth Stations is a bit difficult. There is a local bus which runs from Broad Street but I wouldn't recommend taking it.
 #846878  by Tommy Meehan

As to the Newark connection, for one thing it would've been easier to stay on the CNJ train to E'port and change to the Newark shuttle (usually RDCs in the 1960s). Normally the shuttle train was waiting for the Main Line train to show up. There would've been plenty of seats to choose from too, unlike boarding a PRR train at Elizabeth especially at rush hour.

A large percentage of Newark riders were probably commuters with monthly tickets which would not have been honored on Pennsy (or Penn Central) trains.

One first hand memory I have of E'port station is from the Conrail era (though I rode through E'port when it was still CNJ).

Back around 1977 I rode the Bayonne Scoot from Cranford to E'port. At E'port when I descended the stairs to the corridor connecting the eastbound platform with the westbound platform I discovered the lights were out in the corridor. There was just enough light from the stairwells that I could also see the corridor was flooded! I kind of hopped down the corridor in water that came up nearly to my knees. I tried very hard not to think about what might be floating in it. :(

It was worth it though. By strolling along the westbound platform I could look down at the shop area and a variety of NJDOT passenger power, most of it still in the original roads' livery. There was also a storage line with freight power, mostly Reading and Penn Central if I remember right.

Btw, Conrail / NJDOT did start selling tickets between New York (Penn Station) and Bayonne via Elizabeth. I remember a lady on the Scoot saying Bayonne riders had complained about it and got NJDOT to make a tariff. If you were coming from Bayonne you could buy the ticket -- including an excursion round-trip -- from the train crew at no penalty.
 #848686  by Tommy Meehan

I'm not sure when the station was demolished though I think there are photos of the demoliton, possibly on line.

Passenger service there ended with the demise of the Cranford-Bayonne Scoot in August 1978.
 #1625171  by pumpers

Giving this a bump. Found this great picture online of what things looked like in 1984 - only ~6 years after Bayonne Scoots shutdown and 17 years after mainline traffic was halted good with the Aldene Plan going into effect.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jackdk/28 ... otostream/

Quite a spaghetti of roads, road tunnels, and tracks!
You can clearly see the high level platforms (and remaining simple shelter roofs) on the main line to the east of the overpass tracks, which I think connected what was later known as the "Chemical Coast" to the south (to Perth Amboy) and the line up to Newark and "Brills" to the north. Beyond that, whatever structures used to exist and where passengers would go to transfer exactly isn't clear. Further, I think most of the passenger transfers involved at least one train that was "turning", such as a train Elizabeth heading north to the Newark and New York Branch to get to Newark Broad St station, or one coming from Communipaw station in Jersey City that here would head south to eventually connect with the NY & Long branch.
 #1625200  by pumpers

It's hard to tell from the photo: Yesterday I though the "North-South" connection between the line coming up from Perth Amboy then running up to Brills and Newark Transfer went up and over the main. But the more I look at the picture, it looks like they crossed at grade.
Who remembers?