Railroad Forums 

• Planned Service Suspensions (Was: Orange Line To Close...)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1607051  by CRail

This is standard any time new track is laid. Tie jobs typically only replace every 3rd tie to negate the need, but new track installations and complete replacements require a settling period.
 #1607224  by CRail

They replaced 120 cars with 70. Without the Hawkers in the mix, they don't have enough equipment to run the level of service the line actually requires.
 #1607231  by theMainer

CRail wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:35 pm They replaced 120 cars with 70. Without the Hawkers in the mix, they don't have enough equipment to run the level of service the line actually requires.
They are limited to a pseudo-Weekend schedule at all times currently due to the dispatcher shortage. From what I've heard they will be running the CRRC's mostly with the Hawkers filling in as needed. It appears the only cars that are being scrapped thus far are the ones from the deadline north of Wellington.
 #1607245  by CRail

Service levels currently experienced drop beneath those of a weekend schedule. The line is typically dispatched by a single person, shared with the blue line on weekends. Even if the line has to share a dispatcher at all times, the 50% of previous fleet size is still the limiting factor.
 #1607329  by dieciduej

Here we are a week of the grand re-opening of the Orange Line and for a brief moment, Friday of last week there was full speed Wellington, my home station, to Community College. Last week there was full speed from the Community College portal to the Back Bay crossovers.

Now, actually over the weekend the slow orders returned for Wellington to Community. Have things not settled with the track work? And why are there more Xs on the ties? I thought the idea was to X eliminate.
 #1623808  by Diverging Route

This morning a colleague and I arrived at North Station at 5:45am, and headed down to the GL platform for an inbound train to Park Street. The first thing I noticed was there were no trains listed on the status board (i.e. "Heath Street -- 3 minutes"). So I looked at mbta.com and saw an alert that the GL is suspended between June 12 and June 25 from North Station to Government Center for the GC garage demolition.

OK, fine... but why were there no signs, no announcements, and no personnel on the platform telling riders? There were dozens of passenger waiting patiently for a GL train, and it's a long wait until June 26... You'd think that on the first morning of the suspension, the T would be all over helping passengers find their way.

We took the next OL train, that skipped Haymarket as part of the same planned service suspension.