Railroad Forums 

• Telephone pole at Needham Heights

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1622132  by charlesriverbranch

At the Needham Heights station, where Hunnewell Street crosses over the track, there is a telephone pole bearing a plaque with the following information:

CONRAIL
546 866 N
U.S.DOT - AAR

As far as I know, Conrail never owned this line; if memory serves, the New Haven sold it to the MBTA circa 1967. And if AAR is the Association of American Railroads, that's a lobbying group. What are its initials doing on a telephone pole?
 #1622150  by Safetee

Conrail certainly had the freight rights, and temporarily operated T passenger trains on the south side until they were turned over to the B&M.
 #1622232  by Arborwayfan

Maybe PC didn't sell the part of the line beyond Needham Heights, the part that PC then Conrail then Bay Colony ran freight to some local businesses on?
 #1622407  by R36 Combine Coach

The AAR number at a crossing is an internal USDOT reference code for each crossing in the national rail network
and also is a reference for law enforcement and local emergency personnel in the event of a stalled vehicle, crash,
malfunctioning equipment or other situation.
 #1622408  by charlesriverbranch

Hunnewell Street crosses via a bridge over the track, though; unlike nearby West and Webster Streets, there is no grade crossing.

MBTA bus #59 coming from Newton comes up Webster Street, but instead of crossing the tracks and turning right on Highland Avenue, it turns right onto Hillside Avenue and left onto Hunnewell, crossing via the bridge before turning right onto Highland. I've always speculated that this is because the bus used to be a streetcar, and the New Haven Railroad didn't allow streetcars to cross its tracks at grade. Am I right?
 #1622424  by Disney Guy

I am not sure about a former streetcar route in this area but the bus taking the more tortuous route onto Hillside Ave would be to service stops in that neighborhood.
 #1622442  by Arborwayfan

diburning wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:12 pm If you mean the rest of the line between Needham Heights and the Riverside line (Highland branch), that was purchased from Penn Central as well.
I did mean that. Thanks for the answer.

CharlesRiverBranch, the AAR is much more than a lobbying group: It's a standard-setting group, a coordinator of rules and data for car hire and other things about interchange of cars, sometimes a funder of research, basically an organization through which many railroads function as a system.
 #1622469  by BandA

Most or all of the MBTA bus routes in Newton were originally streetcar trolley lines, with the #57 Watertown-Kenmore converted in 1968 from the Watertown "A" branch of the Green Line. The Trader Joe's in West Newton was originally built as a car barn and retains the original shape and apparently the structural steel. Definitely the #59 went from Watertown to Newton Highlands, not sure if it follows the historical routes from there. Routes including modern #53, #54, #56 including the Trader Joe's car barn were bustituted around 1930 when tracks were pulled from Washington St to install a water main for Boston.