Railroad Forums 

• best source for railroad maps circa 1950-1960

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1620659  by FANWOODGUY

I have been trying without much success to locate a track map of the CNJ in Bayonne from that era. Those that I have found do not expand well. Specifically I am looking for the track layout for the Ave A extension down to the old Texaco refinery. I would like to plan out a HO shelf layout with this area in mind. Thoughts?
 #1620667  by edbear

There are maps issued by the Port Authority under their name and issued by some of the railroads serving New York City and New Jersey. They show quite a bit of trackage, piers, mainlines, industrial branches.
 #1621011  by eolesen

Your best bet for accuracy might be a USGS topographical survey map. I've used those with good success when modeling long-gone railroads for MSTS and OpenRails.

These are available for free online. https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/
 #1621032  by eolesen

The 1:24000 scale topo maps from the 1950-1970 era are accurate enough in many places to show crossovers, sidings and building placement for depots and interlocking towers.

Another source if you can gain access is Sanborn fire insurance maps. Many public and university libraries have this available. Those are better for urban areas in the early 1900's.