Railroad Forums 

• New York Susquehanna and Western Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1618306  by pdtrains

Hardly any posting on that thread.
This would be a good place for an NYSW NJ ops thread, if a few ppl want to keep it current IMHO. I tend to look for everything NJ here, not by RR's North Jersey is like one big terminal area....
 #1619176  by marco

Yesterday, (Tuesday 28 Mar) there was a mixed freight running through the grade crossing on Newark Pompton TPKE, (Riverdale/Bloomingdale) around 4:30, if that is helpful. They come blasting uphill through the grade crossing. Some tankers, grain cars & boxcars.

They also run to a fenced in transloading yard in Riverdale in the evenings, although I don't think that is as regular.
 #1619536  by cjvrr

The SU-100 / SU-99 had been on a Monday - Wednesday- Friday passing through Butler NJ between 1-5 am.

As of late, Eastbound SU-100 comes through Butler between 1-5 am on Tuesdays and Fridays with its counterpart leaving around 4:00pm from Ridgefield Park on the same days. Recent photos on Facebook show them making Vernon with some light.

But today, Monday April 3, SU-100 came through Butler around 1-2am.
 #1619843  by Silverliner II

As some people here may know, the NYS&W Railroad does not have their own paint shop. Any locomotives paint jobs have to get contracted out, or come in new painted by the builder.

So, much to my surprise yesterday (April 6th), I saw NYS&W (ex-NS) SD70M-2 4064 in full Susquehanna paint, being readied as the trailing unit of three for the SU-99. It even has full "Susquehanna" lettering on the nose.

Well.... not quite. An "S" seems to have peeled off. It actually reads "usquehanna." 🤣
 #1619955  by cjvrr

The locomotives have been getting painted inside the shop building in Butler, NJ formerly occupied by the NYS&W Tech Society. The former NS SD40-2 is currently getting painted.
Silverliner II wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:52 pm As some people here may know, the NYS&W Railroad does not have their own paint shop. Any locomotives paint jobs have to get contracted out, or come in new painted by the builder.
 #1619982  by Silverliner II

Oh, they can do their painting now? This is new information to me! Thank you!
 #1622381  by AceMacSD

PennRail42 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:10 am Does anyone happen to know what the train schedule is for the NYS&W? I would like to try and chase them one day. Primarily looking for the New Jersey area.
Most of their Jersey works done in the evening or night. See them working in the night between Ridgefield and upper JC.