Railroad Forums 

• PATCO to Glassboro?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1613234  by lensovet

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:28 am PATCO should, in all seriousness, be treated like the PATH of Philadelphia. Have it work on the same faring system as SEPTA, and have it just be a way to get into Jersey from the city, not to get around Philadelphia. This would allow for the BRS to actually maybe get a few riders, which could then justify an extension or even (and I am being VERY optimistic here) a construction of the full loop.
you do realize that PATH doesn't even work this way? It has its own fare system that integrates with absolutely nothing else in NYC (it won't even take EasyPay MetroCards). And it, just like PATCO, has a 4-station spur that runs within Manhattan.

Frankly what PATCO needs is a proper connection to 30th St, where people can transfer to whatever mode they need. The current lack of a direct Regional Rail + Amtrak connection is pretty sad given the distances are so small. Extend the line west to Penn Medicine, then go north to 30th. Build a pedestrian tunnel to connect to 37th St and add street entrances to both stations along the way.
 #1613251  by JeffK

lensovet wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:03 pm Frankly what PATCO needs is a proper connection to 30th St, where people can transfer to whatever mode they need. The current lack of a direct Regional Rail + Amtrak connection is pretty sad given the distances are so small. Extend the line west to Penn Medicine, then go north to 30th. Build a pedestrian tunnel to connect to 37th St and add street entrances to both stations along the way.
Extending PATCO westward has been a dream since the 1970s but the idea's gone nowhere. I don't know the specific reason(s) but my cynical guess is that it's the same things that have hamstrung other rail projects for over a century: politics, lack of imagination, politics, lack of will, politics, and lack of money. I wonder just what it will take for this idea and other good ones like Roosevelt Blvd. to get beyond the permanent "someday" stage.

And IMHO all transit rail lines need better integration at 30th Street. At least the MFSE/SS connector is finally being rebuilt, but it's still a hike from one station to the other.