Railroad Forums 

• B&A commuter coach info

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1612198  by Cosmo

I am the new owner of a pair of brass (Railworks) B&A Osgood-Bradley arch-roof commuter cars. They are currently painted (what looks like) B&M maroon with black roofs.
I need to know what these cars would have looked like circa 1945-1955 in commuter service in the Boston area.
Also: ANY help with determining/obtaining correct lettering decals would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks guys! :wink:
 #1612242  by Pat Fahey

Hi
In the book Boston & Albany The New York Central in New England by Robert Willougby Jones vol 1 on page 63 shows a B&A coach with NYC lettering painted a Dark Green with white NYC lettering, the photo in the book is dated January 23th 1960. Pat.
 #1612275  by Cosmo

Thanks Pat!
But 1960 is a bit late for my layout as I'm still running 4-6-4's, 2-8-4's and 4-6-6 T's!
Also, ... turns out I DO have that book, ... both volumes!
The pictures I needed were in Vol 1. They show several shots of an RS-1 pulling said coaches through the various Newtons and Brooklines and such. :wink:
The coaches in the photos (circa 1948-49) are painted dark green with YELLOW "BOSTON AND ALBANY".
I was having a tough time finding correct decals, but it turns out they're listed in the3 catalog as "New York Central/B&A" ... and I kept searching for "Boston and Albany"! :P
I was able to find the correct sets for "1939-1960," which is fortunate, as Microscale includes EXCELLENT data sheets with their decal sets.

Thanks again, and have a cool Yule! :wink:
 #1612289  by R Paul Carey

FWIW, and without specific information as to the NYC paint specifications, I would offer the following:

Passenger (particularly commuter) equipment was painted green (Pullman Green?) and was lettered and striped in a flat yellow (Dulux Gold?).

Other passenger equipment, including most of the heavyweight AC coaches, were painted in two-shades of gray, with white lettering and striping.

The heavyweight AC coaches were repainted at North White Plains well into the mid-1960s. My impression has always been that NYC ran a "clean-window" passenger and commuter service at its headquarters city.