Railroad Forums 

• October TRAINS - Disappointed 😞

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1606262  by Gilbert B Norman

TRAINS showed yesterday and there I see on the cover a good UP photo and a blurb how the Sunset Route is a "vital Corridor for UP".

I expected to read an "in depth" article detailing how this one time route with its eight passenger trains (Sunset, Argonaut, Golden State, unnamed 39-40) and one or two through freight and came to be "moribund" in SP's final years of life, had been transformed by UP to meet the demands of the US's fastest growing region - and with traffic such as petrochemicals, which are essentially "captive" tor railroads.

Instead, a find a railfan guide of where to "shoot" (photos) between Colton and Yuma.

disclaimer: author Long UNP
 #1611657  by copcars

I was also disappointed. 15 or so years ago ,they did a great article on the double tracking work and a huge increase in traffic. I have relatives in the tucson,az area and would check to see where the double tracking was done and where they were working.I have not been out there in 2 years, but was hoping to get an update in trains magazine. No mention about the double tracking work.East of Maricopa,az was all double tracked all the way to El Paso 2 years ago.I read something about a highway bridge in Maricopa was going to be built.There was double tracking work going on half way to Yuma connecting two passing sidings at that time. Does any one know how the double tracking is coming along.THANKS
 #1611659  by NHV 669

copcars,

you just needed to scroll down the subforum a bit. The thread hasn't been updated in awhile, and the poster likes to talk in third person:

sunset-route-two-tracking-updates-t168006.html
 #1611679  by eolesen

Ah, that's KP Harrier. He and I met for coffee once on one of his many runs up and down I-10 to photograph the Sunset.

The real bible on this is on the Trains forums: https://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/120779.aspx

It's 279 pages and filled with photos, including a few of my own somewhere...
 #1611752  by Gilbert B Norman

TRAINS has redeemed themselves with the December 2022 issue.

There is a hard-hitting article within, soliciting commentary from both Management and Union officials regarding the nationwide service "meltdown" on all roads - including Uncle Warren's "vaunted TRANSCON". This even though BNSF has not fully implemented "The Gospel...", or otherwise PSR.

Also of interest; article relating to the Amfleet, and how it was THE most successful equipment procurement Amtrak has made to date - and my guess, the most successful Amtrak will ever make.

disclaimer: author Long UNP