Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1610551  by sextant

When I was in the Navy in 1990 I would see a consist of 3 fancy private railroad cars going thru Great Lakes Naval Center without stopping daily as part of a Metra train. Last I knew they were stored and cleaned at Waukegan IL yard as I last saw them in 2019.- Here is a article from 2019- https://jwcdaily.com/forestbluffmagazi ... bers-only/ Not seen it lately....The article is also wrong about being the only private commuter club car as Metrolink in LA has a private club car owned by the LGBTQ community for there use as well---
 #1610563  by qboy

eolesen wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:45 pm The article was true in 2019 when it was published... and yes, the 553 is still running.

Finding no proof of a LGBTQ car on Metrolink... got a reference?
No 553 not running and hasn't been running for a couple years. It was sitting in the Cal Ave shop up until end of July. I know this because I was called to take the car out to Elburn and park it on the stub track in the yard. To keep it away from the the vandals. They were trying to donate it to IRM, but for what ever reason it hasn't happen the car needs a lot of work. It was O/S even before the pandemic service reductions.
 #1610596  by eolesen

Huh. I went to a training class in 2021 and the 553 was paralelling us into OTC. Must have been pulled shortly after.

Hope it does wind up in Union eventually. 555 got scrapped within the last ten years, so this is the last survivor of the 400 fleet.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk