Railroad Forums 

• CSX Track Upgrades & Infrastructure of Pan Am

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1609879  by markhb

jwhite07 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:49 am Interesting how at least one of the gons has clearly been marked for the torch per AAR Rule 90 (interchange prohibited) but there it is, still in service with a foreign road mark (SPSX = Progress Rail Leasing).
Question: what are the markings in question? I zoomed in and couldn't see anything in writing other than the "Do Not Hump" warning.
 #1609889  by NHV 669

markhb wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:16 pm Question: what are the markings in question? I zoomed in and couldn't see anything in writing other than the "Do Not Hump" warning.

#1609896  by neman2

neman2 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:47 pm Today at 14:24 hrs MEC 7541 dropped 11 gondolas modified to carry turnout panels at CPF-307, Westford. Nine of these cars have pre-assembled turnouts in them, two appeared to be empty (above the side of the gondola nothing visible to me)

Does anybody know where all these turnouts are going?
A post in the Pan Am Worcester Line thread has confirmed my suspicion that these came from Clinton, where 2 turnouts were unloaded and installed for the Clinton siding .

From Spider Hill's post on the Pan Am Worcester Main Line thread-----
"3. The material gons that were on the Clinton siding for much of the summer are gone.
4. Clinton east and west switches have been replaced."
 #1609911  by SpiderHill

That is correct. Those turnouts were less complete than the ones in those photos. A lot of the assembly was done onsite. The Clinton gons were mostly NS, CR, and a couple CSX reporting marks. They were not modified for carrying turnouts. The Westford gons are not the same ones that were in Clinton.
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1610044  by markhb

NHV 669 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:26 pm
markhb wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:16 pm Question: what are the markings in question? I zoomed in and couldn't see anything in writing other than the "Do Not Hump" warning.
Thanks! Somehow I overlooked that pic in favor of the second one.
 #1610138  by CPF363

Surprised that CSX has not started a tie replacement program on the Stony Brook and Lowell Branch to pull the 10s out and get running times improved between Ayer and Rigby. Pan Am installed a lot of new rail over the past few years, even on the MBTA owned segment between CPF-NC and CPF-BY, but no new ties or surfacing.
 #1610156  by neman2

Agreed 25 is so much better than the 10 MPH or less crawl seen for years under Pan Am/ Guilford. More important areas to address first.
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1611045  by petahgriff8316

Any word on the 2 crossings that (according to the CRISI doc) will be upgraded to gates? My wild guesses would be 231 (172.18) in New Gloucester and Leeds Junction Rd. The former has a significant curve on one side as well as Blake. The latter is double-tracked and one of the major CPFs on the line.
 #1611098  by newpylong

Quiet around here lately.

Found out that Herzog ballast train that went up to Nashua and back was for the Worcester Main but froze so they sent it up there out of their way to thaw out.

I was told they gutted PT tower and the Rigby yard office completely. Rigby is going to be the Division HQ. There are all new switches on new leads at each end of the yard. Still a lot of work but things are looking up.

They are hoping to get Keag reopened as a gateway in the spring.
 #1611130  by MEC407

Last time I drove by Rigby, they were putting brand new metal roofs on both Tower PT and the yard office, which I took as a very good sign of things to come.