Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1581404  by Gilbert B Norman

Well surprise!!!!

Work on the Westward shed has resumed; so I guess the barristers have come to some kind of understanding. That's hardly to say their meters are "high sticked".
 #1592999  by Gilbert B Norman

Well the Clarendon Hills station is now essentially complete. Looks like all that's needed to the WB shed is a few electrical fixtures.

They have a separate project on the EB side to do; someone thought that part of its "prairie" motif should include boulders along the tracks. How that safety deficiency first escaped BNSF (want some kids to roll one of them onto the 1 Track to watch "the fun"?), but it has been caught now.

What a joke - and I'm paying for it!!!!

On my walks, the parking lots appear about fifty percent full. I read (think in The Journal) that RTO3X is to become the "new normal" for knowledge workers.

They're NEVER coming back to pre-COVID levels.

Sorry about being Diogenes over this whole charade.
 #1607177  by eolesen

I find it amusing that this is being billed as benefiting Metra. The Rockwell Line doesn't carry any Metra traffic (nor will it) and hasn't seen passenger traffic since 1971 if even before that. The PRR came up parallel to the Rockwell from Ogden Junction before turning east to parallel the Milwaukee...

From Railway Track and Structures
September 21, 2022 Track Construction
More funds for CREATE’s rail line modernization project
Written by Bill Wilson, Editor-in-Chief

The Chicago Region Environment and Transportation Efficiency Program (CREATE) partners announced that $70 million in federal funds will soon be on the way to Chicago, allowing for a $170 million project to modernize a 2-mile stretch of rail lines that provide a critical connection for freight moving across the Chicago region.

The funding is via the INFRA grant program, which advances multimodal freight and highway projects of national significance.

A project of CREATE, known as the Westside Gateway, Ogden Junction, or to the engineering community, WA1, the project entails repairing, replacing, or eliminating 16 railroad bridges, many more than 100 years old, on the Union Pacific (UP) Rockwell line that runs along Rockwell Avenue, from Fulton Street on the north to 16th Street on the south. The viaducts below the bridges, many of which also are more than a century old, also will be repaired, repainted and, in some cases, raised in height.

The Illinois Department of Transportation will be administering the $70 million grant for CREATE.

“With CREATE, all levels of government are working in consistent partnership with private industry for our mutual benefit—making it unlike any other program in the nation,” said Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker. “Since its inception, CREATE has brought more than $2 billion to Chicago to modernize the city’s transportation infrastructure. As we work together to rebuild Illinois, CREATE is an innovative model to try in other areas—where every partner contributes to the common good.”

“This funding is essential to ensuring goods from farms and factories are transported with ease throughout the region,” said Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle. “The goal of the CREATE program is to unsnarl rail lines, make them safer, and ultimately cut down the amount of time it takes to transport these goods. We must continue making significant investments in our infrastructure and this funding will allow the CREATE program to do just that.”

“This federal funding will help improve bridges and viaducts that go over local streets on our city’s West Side, which will lead to supply chain improvements and enhanced community mobility,” said Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot. “The city of Chicago is grateful for this federal support and looks forward to continuing to work with our CREATE partners on improving our rail infrastructure.”

Speaking for CREATE, Ian Jefferies President and CEO of the Association of American Railroads, highlighted the near-term and long-term benefits of the project. “These critical funds will advance the partners and community’s shared goals including improving freight and commuter train efficiency, enhancing air quality and dramatically upgrading the viaducts. Beyond the benefits upon completion, $80 million in targeted investments and contracts will directly support jobs and businesses in local communities.”

CREATE’s Ogden Junction project, which spans the Western Avenue Rail Corridor from Kedzie Avenue to 16th Street will rehabilitate, replace, remove or upgrade nearly 2 miles of railroad track, signaling, bridges and viaduct structures, as well as build 10,000 ft of new track. As a result, thousands of hours of Metra delays are expected to be avoided and freight train operators will experience fewer conflicts and faster speeds due to more visible electronic signals. In addition to these benefits, according to Stark, “It is estimated that millions of dollars in employment and contract opportunities will be created for the communities adjacent to the Rockwell Line that runs from Fulton Street on the north to 16th Street on the south.

Plans for the project also include installing a new bi-directional computerized Traffic Control System on the 2-mile segment on the UP rail line along the Western Avenue Corridor and upgrading seven hand-thrown switches to power switches. New control points at Taylor Street, Ogden Avenue, and 16th Street, along with main line realignment, will enable simultaneous movements between the UP, CSX, and Norfolk Southern railways main lines which, in combination with the structural improvements to the bridges, will enable more efficient, safer operating speeds.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1607180  by lstone19

eolesen wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:41 pm I find it amusing that this is being billed as benefiting Metra. The Rockwell Line doesn't carry any Metra traffic (nor will it) and hasn't seen passenger traffic since 1971 if even before that. The PRR came up parallel to the Rockwell from Ogden Junction before turning east to parallel the Milwaukee...
Not quite. The PRR there was the ex-Panhandle and when it turned east, it did not parallel the Milwaukee Road, it shared the tracks. These tracks from Western Avenue (A-2) to CUS were known as the North Joint Tracks because they were owned jointly by the PRR and the MILW. They were originally 100% Panhandle but at some point, a 50% interest was sold to the Milwaukee Road. Tracks 1, 2, and 3 are now owned by Metra up to Canal Street (where Amtrak ownership begins as part of Amtrak owning CUS). Track 4 was used as an industrial track to reach the now closed (I believe) ADM facility and as AFAIK, owned by NS as part of what they acquired in the Conrail breakup. With the former Panhandle abandoned south of A-2, NS used trackage rights on the Rockwell to reach this track which had no direct connection to any other NS track.
 #1607191  by eolesen

lstone19 wrote: b

Not quite. The PRR there was the ex-Panhandle and when it turned east, it did not parallel the Milwaukee Road, it shared the tracks. These tracks from Western Avenue (A-2) to CUS were known as the North Joint Tracks because they were owned jointly by the PRR and the MILW. They were originally 100% Panhandle but at some point, a 50% interest was sold to the Milwaukee Road.
Thanks for the history, Larry.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1608672  by MetraBNSF

Wondering all along when the second segment of third track construction along the UP-W between West Chicago and Geneva was going to begin. It has recently started and will go into summer of 2024. The city of Geneva has a page outlining the details of the project and there is a progress blog as well.

https://www.geneva.il.us/905/Union-Paci ... ne-Project
 #1626375  by Gilbert B Norman

Quite correct Colonel, SIR.

The Blue Line presently terminates at the La Salle St CTA station, with shuttle busses serving through the Medical Center to the resumption of track at Racine. This means that the access to the CTA is now "uh, not exactly" convenient for Amtrak and METRA passengers.

https://www.transitchicago.com/fprebuild/

I no longer use my "poor man's way to O'Hare" (BNSF CUS CTA) as I'm now admittedly afraid to ride the CTA.
 #1626626  by MACTRAXX

JP - The picture you posted from CTA Facebook is UIC/Halsted Station (800 W.) looking westward in the
center median of the Eisenhower Expressway - Interesting seeing this view with no track visible...

GBN: Good CTA plan to replace track on what was known as the Congress Rapid Transit Line before
the color names began use back in 1993...In my opinion this line should have been re-named when
the paralleling Expressway name was changed to honor President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1972...

The O'Hare Line trains terminate in Downtown Chicago at the LaSalle/Congress Station just SW of
the Loop right after the point where the Dearborn Street Subway curves west towards the Congress Line...

This will only affect riders from the west from what is now known as the Forest Park Branch -
I think that "Eisenhower Line" would have been a better name for the route and designation...

Replacing 65 year-old track and roadbed outright is a good move by CTA - meaning some short-term
inconvenience for long-term gain after this project is completed...MACTRAXX