Railroad Forums 

• National Railroads Strike in September?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1606551  by BandA

Breaking News!!!!!!! CNN is now aware of possible impending strike

They had some democrat congressman or senator I forget, who felt that there would most likely be a settlement at the very last minute because contract negotiations, like Congress require a looming deadline before movement will happen. So government officials are still playing down the likelihood of a strike.

If a strike happens on Friday there is no way congress will come back into session, it'll have to wait for Monday. So I am going to speculate based on zero information that the strike will be Friday to Monday with congress forcing them back to work with binding arbitration on Tuesday.

Are the unions likely to strike exactly when the cooling off expires or will there be a delay? Will the railroads lock them out?
 #1606554  by RandallW

BandA wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:17 am
Railjunkie wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:15 am
ExCon90 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:51 pm Something I've often wondered about but never asked: is the wage scale negotiated at the national level the same for a given craft nationwide; i.e., the same in a major metropolitan area with a high cost of living as in a small town with a huge class yard and engine terminal and not much else, thus a much lower cost of living? If so, is there any uniform opinion in the unions for something like a "cost-of-living" differential -- particularly when both areas are on the same railroad?
In a word, YES, the rate of pay is the rate of pay weather you are in New York, Mississippi or [Katmandu]
That is ridiculous; the cost of living in say the LA area is almost double the cost of living in Massachusetts, and the cost of living in rural Maine, rural NY, or lets pick on Arkansas is a lot cheaper than Massachusetts. So if the railroads are still attracting employees in LA and NYC and Washington DC they must be overpaying in all other locations except for Katmandu.
For federal employees and military service members, pay is set nationally as a matter of law. Different costs of living are covered by a cost of living allowance (not to be confused with cost of living adjustments) that is set based on where the employee are located. Obviously this is different than what that any private employer or union does (their pay scales are not published as a matter of law), but I wouldn't be surprised if similar structures exist for other geographically dispersed unionized companies, as it allows a set pay rate for a specific job and years of service calculation that is separate from the calculation based on where someone works.
 #1606559  by Gilbert B Norman

I've been too long removed from the industry to recall when rules relating to working conditions were handled at National level ("Committee"). It would seem that the Employees (Unions) would have to serve Section 6's against each carrier and negotiate at local level for any such changes to move forth.

I can't recall who first used the term "swept under the rug" at this discussion and whether or not he has industry, as distinct from railfan, experience. But insofar as our discussion goes here, such is indeed "on mark".

Now what could be done, if employee welfare was first order, is set "blocks" of time for Operating Employees to be called, rather than the present "you're rested, you can - and nowadays WILL - be called". For example, from Home, a call to a particular employee could only be made between 1201 and 4A and on in four hour blocks (those blocks bid upon; return, "when rested").

Of course, many more men would need be employed, and at present how many out there "on the street" are "knocking at any road's Choo Choo U to matriculate"? So therefore, guess where freight rates are going?

I'm not even sure if all employees would be happy. All too many "whiskers" WANT to work all they possibly can (kids in college; MAX out that RRTA annuity, marriage "let's not go there") and those guys have more "say" than do the youngsers. Same is also true in the airline and who knows how many other industries. But of course, I defer to Mr. Junkie, and those such as Messrs. Olesen and West Point, who have strongly inferred around here that they are in the airline industry, and, if we could, The Late Noel Weaver (Engine; NH, PC, CR, CSX).

But I still for one haven't "lost my Faith in the Act" - and the "Forty hours to go" at this writing is long time in labor matters.
 #1606569  by taracer

We had assigned jobs with calling windows years ago, in addition to pools and the extra board. The senior people would usually hold them, and it was something to look forward to as you built your time up. They can't do that now under PSR because all assets are cut so thin.

PSR, as I've said before, has been an absolute failure at CSX. The past five years have been a total disaster, just look at the number of 15-20 year people that have quit. Or the fact that they can't keep new hires. Or the trains parked everywhere on the mainlines.

Now they don't want you even take time off after you've just got home from a trip where you spent 30 hours in the hotel. So 12 hours at least on a train over, because every train is a giant monstrosity now due to PSR, 30 hours in the hotel and 12 hours back. Then the phone rings in 10 hours at home to do it again.

I've got 20 years and no it was not always like this and no I did not hire on for this. I was here when they could call you after 6 hours. Back then you turned at home and away and could mark off whenever you needed to.

I'll be standing on the picket line on Friday.
 #1606573  by STrRedWolf

CNN: RR & Union officials to meet with Labor Secretary over strike.
Railroad and union officials are expected to travel to Washington on Wednesday to meet with Labor Secretary Marty Walsh as the Biden administration tries to help avoid a freight rail strike that could cause massive supply chain disruptions and have significant repercussions on the economy.
The two main unions that have disputes with the railroads -- the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen and SMART Transportation Division -- are expected to send their union chiefs to the meeting with Walsh.
The meeting comes with just days remaining until a federally mandated cooling off period expires and the strike could begin. It serves as a major test for President Joe Biden and his White House, which has positioned itself as one of the most pro-labor administrations in decades but also wants to avoid any potential shocks to the economy with the midterm elections just months away.
 #1606574  by Railjunkie

taracer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:40 am We had assigned jobs with calling windows years ago, in addition to pools and the extra board. The senior people would usually hold them, and it was something to look forward to as you built your time up. They can't do that now under PSR because all assets are cut so thin.

PSR, as I've said before, has been an absolute failure at CSX. The past five years have been a total disaster, just look at the number of 15-20 year people that have quit. Or the fact that they can't keep new hires. Or the trains parked everywhere on the mainlines.

Now they don't want you even take time off after you've just got home from a trip where you spent 30 hours in the hotel. So 12 hours at least on a train over, because every train is a giant monstrosity now due to PSR, 30 hours in the hotel and 12 hours back. Then the phone rings in 10 hours at home to do it again.

I've got 20 years and no it was not always like this and no I did not hire on for this. I was here when they could call you after 6 hours. Back then you turned at home and away and could mark off whenever you needed to.

I'll be standing on the picket line on Friday.
Finally someone from the freight to speak up. We really do try to stay out of your way, sometimes they just wont let us. I have tried my best to defend your position but working the passenger side of things is a bit different with regular assignments and such. I can only go by what I have been told from deadheads and guys who have come over from CSX/CP and still stay in contact with some ex co workers.

Stand strong and stay safe
 #1606577  by taracer

Railjunkie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:10 am
eolesen wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:55 pm
Railjunkie wrote:
However working conditions have never been worse than they are today on the class 1s.
Huh.

Ever work a firebox or a coal chute?

Ever have to walk the roof to set brakes?

Ever ride in a caboose without air conditioning or heat?

You guys have it much better today than the railroaders of 50+ years ago...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Ever run a drafty GE without heat at 90 plus mph?? I have it ain't fun. Same for the A/C except its the summer you get the added enjoyment of a toilet that smells somewhere between a litter box that has not been cleaned in a couple of weeks and dumpster full of rotting seafood on a 100 degree day. I will take the caboose at 50mph.

You have described it perfectly, especially the toilet. I was looking for a way to put that smell into words, I have to steal that description.
 #1606581  by Ridgefielder

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:21 pm Mr. Olsen, we are "on the same page".

If, say, at Port of LA/LB, the striking railroad employees can set a line around the railroad facilities, surely the Longshoremen would not X. But the railroad employees cannot set a line around dock facilities that Longshoremen would have X in order to service the vessels or truck lines. That is a Secondary Boycott.

Yes, it has been a few years since I had any workplace exposure to such issues.
What happens when the rail facilities are physically *on* the dock?
 #1606584  by eolesen

Ridgefielder wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:46 am What happens when the rail facilities are physically *on* the dock?
Arguably fair game, but it only takes a judge to issue an injunction while things work themselves out.

ILWU did the reverse at Longview, WA back in 2011, and set up a picket across the rail access into an EGT grain loading port that they were striking. EGT eventually got an injunction but that backfired because ILWU workers at other ports walked off their job and came to Longview making the situation even more volitile. Grain got dumped from the cars onto the tracks and there was some other vandalism/sabotage that was pretty much criminal.... but they got their contract settled.
 #1606588  by justalurker66

BandA wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:19 amI was under the impression that secondary boycotts were allowed in the transportation industry for some weird reason. Am I remembering wrong?
We have a union local that pickets any job site where the materials made at one of their union locations is used. Nothing like having a big pickup truck and an inflatable rat on the front lawn of your business (carefully placed in the public ROW to avoid eviction). The union people working on the job site completely ignored them and fortunately they didn't damage the property driving across to reach the ROW they parked on.

They parked on the front lawn of a contstruction company for a couple of days until the employees beat them to the spot and parked their pickups there. :)
 #1606589  by Railjunkie

taracer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:10 am
Railjunkie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:10 am
eolesen wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:55 pm
Railjunkie wrote:
However working conditions have never been worse than they are today on the class 1s.
Huh.

Ever work a firebox or a coal chute?

Ever have to walk the roof to set brakes?

Ever ride in a caboose without air conditioning or heat?

You guys have it much better today than the railroaders of 50+ years ago...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Ever run a drafty GE without heat at 90 plus mph?? I have it ain't fun. Same for the A/C except its the summer you get the added enjoyment of a toilet that smells somewhere between a litter box that has not been cleaned in a couple of weeks and dumpster full of rotting seafood on a 100 degree day. I will take the caboose at 50mph.

You have described it perfectly, especially the toilet. I was looking for a way to put that smell into words, I have to steal that description.
Too many summers spent on a 7XX bouncing merrily along the Hudson or Mohawk. :(
 #1606597  by John_Perkowski

CNBC reporting the Association of American railroads has said the railroads will not lockout workers should there be a strike…

Of course they won’t. They’re trying to be seen as the good guys.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/14/railroa ... etary.html