Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern employment process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#747839  by Gadfly

Aviator628 wrote:Are you pretty much garunteed to be forloughed in the winter time? Or does it vary upon location? And does the railroad put you in another position during that time or are you on your own until they call you back?
In prior years (pre-2000) NS used to lay off the majority of track workers/system gangs in Dec-Jan and recall around March.
I would think it depends on the traffic level. I am not sure what you mean by "competitive. Once you are hired you are dovetailed into the bottom of the seniority roster. It USED to be (in the Clerks craft), if two people were born the same year, then it was determined by the MONTH of birth. If TWO people are hired and have the same birth month, then oldest DATE prevails. Perhaps the other crafts do it different. You will be required to join the appropriate union governing your craft. You will be at the BOTTOM of the roster, so you are lIKELY to be furloughed often in the first years. Plan on it. IF it doesn't happen, then count your lucky stars. Your ability to hold other positions depends on YOUR "craft" (Union) rules. I said you are LIKELY to get furloughed. Why? Because, honestly, someone else with MORE seniority than you is going to "bid" any positions available FIRST, and until you build time there's always going to be someone ahead of you. IF you are furloughed, you are on your own. Some employees have "seasonal" jobs they can go to during layoff (when the economy is booming). Basically, you are going to "pay your 'dues'" when first starting out and furloughs are PART of the equation. There's no "politicking" your way into a cushy job (unless you get promoted---and there's PLENTY of 'suck ups' on the railroad. Believe THAT, too)!

GF
 #817666  by Firehawk

I believe it 6 months, but I believe that's per terminal (I.E. Harrisburg PA, Philadelphia PA....) Not really sure, this is what I remember when I asked. I'm in the same boat as you trying to get hired and no dice.
 #1065157  by primotariq

Well I went for a interview in NC two days after Memorial day. I was giving a offer for apprentice signal maintainer. I took my physical on 6/11/12 completed all my paper work. I am still waiting to do my hair sample drug test. The kit was not there when I had my physical. I still need to meet with the NS police. I have emailed my hiring manager and he still has not set these things up for me. It has been almost 2 months since I accepted the offer. Dose any one know how long the process takes before I will be able to go to training?
 #1604197  by Hoagie55

I'm looking for all the details about apprenticeship program for NS. The more the better. What to expect. After background and drug test local? Do you just wait to go to training? Details of training on Ga?