Railroad Forums 

• ES-59 photos?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1577714  by Allen Hazen

One of the most dramatic paleoanthropological discoveries of the past few months was the announcement of "Dragon Man": a virtually complete and spectacularly well-preserved skull of an Ice Age human, possibly related to the otherwise mysterious Denisovans. It was discovered (in the 1930s, then hidden through a series of regime changes) during the construction of a railroad bridge, and the Wikipedia article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ma ... aic_human)
about it has a couple of interesting railroad photos. One is an aerial shot of a (45+ car) freight train coming off the bridge (and a bit of a yard or engine terminal on the left), with a single diesel unit on the point, and the other has a side view (partly obscured, alas, by bridge trusses) of two units on a train crossing the bridge. The radiators on these units have a distinctly GE-ish appearance to them: I suspect they are ES-59 (?), the 16-GEVO engined model of which a few were built at Erie before series production began in China.
 #1577715  by Allen Hazen

For comparison, Wikipedia has a few other photos of ES-59 locomotives, at the article on the type: listed, not under its GE model number, but under its Chinese railways class designation: "China Railways HXN5."
 #1578034  by Allen Hazen

Jwhite07--
Many non-US railroads go for shorter noses than U.S. (for one thing, with lighter axle weights, minimizing the length of the frame to lighten the locomotive is an appealing idea for them), so the over-all cab configuration is not surprising... but, yes, the detail design (probably negotiated with the Chinese, but maybe actually carried out by GE designers) IS reminiscent of the BQ23-7. Thanks for pointing it out!
---
On a tangent: when I went to check the pictures on Wikipedia, I noticed that they had an article on another Chinese diesel locomotive, the "HXN5B." This seems to be a totally different design: it does not use the GEVO engine but a Chinese diesel of about 3/4 the power. But look at its radiator compartment and trucks, and try to remember the last time you saw the words "China" and "intellectual property" in the same article.
 #1578274  by Allen Hazen

On, or at least tangential to, the topic of BIG GEVO power...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... ion_Vessel
This is an article about a proposed (maybe by now under construction) class of ships, to be used for various purposes (disaster relief, for example) as needed, but primarily as training ships for the seven Maritime Academies (college level institutions training for careers in merchant marine and related areas) in the U.S. (Not before time: the training ship the New York Maritime Academy currently uses is 60 years old, and powered by -- Shudder! -- steam.) If you look in the box with ship characteristics, they are to be powered by (four engines per ship) Wabtec 16V250.
V250 was GE's model designation for 12 and 16 cylinder GEVO engines built for marine and other non-locomotive applications. (Cylinder bore in millimetres: the non-locomotive FDL was the V225.) So: when they took over GE's locomotive business, Wabtec also took over the non-locomotive side of the Diesel engine business.
--
I don't remember actual numbers, but I believe I read some years ago that the non-locomotive sales of Diesel engines was a small fraction -- 20% comes to mind but I don't trust my memory -- of the locomotive applications for Diesel engines from one of the big U.S. locomotive builders, but clearly big enough to be significant. If you think of Grove City as a "subcontractor," selling Diesel engines to the locomotive plant, the non-locomotive sales would probably be the difference between profitability and not.
(And if anybody knows about GE/Wabtec diesels in particular, and actually knows some of the relevant numbers, I'd be very happy to hear!)
 #1595965  by MEC407

Allen Hazen wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:53 pm One is an aerial shot of a (45+ car) freight train coming off the bridge (and a bit of a yard or engine terminal on the left), with a single diesel unit on the point, and the other has a side view (partly obscured, alas, by bridge trusses) of two units on a train crossing the bridge. The radiators on these units have a distinctly GE-ish appearance to them: I suspect they are ES-59 (?), the 16-GEVO engined model of which a few were built at Erie before series production began in China.
jwhite07 wrote:Looks like a modernized BQ23-7 to me :P
CQ59-10? :-D
1.jpg
1.jpg (15.76 KiB) Viewed 528 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (91 KiB) Viewed 528 times
 #1597088  by es80ac

It is a photo of the HXN5 locomotive, which is essentially an ES60AC with some changes to the cab, trucks, frames.