Railroad Forums 

• Southcoast Rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1596318  by Trinnau

I agree that the NEC routing would be "more successful" due to reduced travel time and the two key stations you mentioned. Doesn't mean Phase I will be "unsuccessful" and it also gets the southern end all built.
 #1596400  by Commuterrail1050

I’m not saying phase 1 will be a complete failure. I’m just saying I don’t think a lot more people would be riding it versus phase 2 direct routing because of both the reduced travel times and the major stations the nec serves versus the old colony. The real inconvenience I see here is people having to get off at south station, jfk, or Quincy only to have to take the orange line to back bay and ruggles. Idk how it will play out but we should see what happens when the opening date gets closer whenever that is next year if everything stays on schedule. Knowing the Mbta and commuter rail, on time never usually happens with projects.
 #1596407  by mbrproductions

The real problem with phase I is the fact that it takes 30 minutes longer than driving, what I am worried about is that this will ruin the people of the south coast's view of taking the Commuter Rail and many will not use it, even when "Phase II" is complete because in their minds its still significantly slower.
It's like CRail said earlier in the thread, Phase I has a good potential to doom the entire project to failure.
 #1596456  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Phase 1 and its travel duration will be a hinderance to its ridership for certain people. I agree that it will be had to win them back over even if phase 2 is constructed - but not impossible.

But if the service is cheaper and you don't own a car like me, then it becomes something that does work for certain people even if it is slower.
 #1596458  by HenryAlan

mbrproductions wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:26 am The real problem with phase I is the fact that it takes 30 minutes longer than driving, what I am worried about is that this will ruin the people of the south coast's view of taking the Commuter Rail and many will not use it, even when "Phase II" is complete because in their minds its still significantly slower.
It's like CRail said earlier in the thread, Phase I has a good potential to doom the entire project to failure.
The duration of the trip will be equivalent to Worcester service, which also takes about 30 minutes longer than driving. Nevertheless, people take that train.
 #1596471  by BandA

In the Before Time rush hours (beginning about 6:30AM and 4:30PM), the Worcester Commuter Rail was time competitive with driving. From Westborough east Commuter Rail was faster than driving. Weston-Boston (Riverside to BOS 10.9 track miles) took about an hour.
 #1596508  by BandA

What are the abutters rights to cross the ROW? Such as gates in the fencing? Also it says they are digging up soil in some spots & depositing it elsewhere, apparently at station sites?
 #1596524  by SOCO11

I live in the area. I know people that drive to Lakeville to take train currently that would do it from FR/NB if they had the option. My concern is not the time. As someone that has commuted to Boston off and on for 30 years I can tell you that a reliable 90 minutes would be OK vs 1- 2+ hours. Especially given the opportunity to work or relax on the train. My concern is the routing to South Station. One of the biggest employment zones in Boston is Longwood Medical and the LMA shuttle takes many employees to CR at Ruggles. This is also a convenient stop for many colleges. Not having stops at Ruggles or Back Bay makes me much less likely to use it- not the 90 minutes.
 #1596546  by octr202

MASCO/LMA has a shuttle from JFK/UMass as well.
 #1596743  by mbrproductions

The duration of the trip will be equivalent to Worcester service, which also takes about 30 minutes longer than driving. Nevertheless, people take that train.
I just checked, and it takes an hour and a half by train to get from Boston to Worcester compared to 50 minutes by driving, how come the Worcester Line takes this long?
 #1596748  by BandA

Worcester-Boston drive takes about an hour and a half at rush hour, at least in the Before Time
 #1596795  by Trinnau

Mainly due to station stops, commuter rail typically averages about 30mph, which for a 45 mile trip means 90 minutes. In areas where line speeds have been push to 79MPH they can achieved slightly faster averages, but need express trains to shave any real time. If you're trying to use a map program such as Google maps, pick an "arrive by" of 8:30am at South Station on a Wednesday, and pick wherever you want to start from. You'll find the train travel time is competitive.
 #1596805  by MBTA3247

I took a few photos of the construction site at the Middleboro wye today:

Image7R312728 on Flickr

Image7R312729 on Flickr

Image7R312732 on Flickr