Railroad Forums 

• Missouri Amtrak Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1595238  by R36 Combine Coach

rohr turbo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:47 pm I certainly understand an Amfleet cafe + business class car (not sure they're labelled 'Amclub' any more.)
They are called "Cafe/Club". Also found on Empire Service, Ethan Allen and the overnight Regional.
 #1595250  by lordsigma12345

StLouSteve wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:28 am I don't really understand why there is so much anti-Amtrak sentiment on an Amtrak board.
There are posters on this board with different opinions on the role of rail today - which in my opinion is positive. I think discussions here are quite civil without mean ness or name calling. Misters Olesen and Norman (and others) for example have different views then myself on some topics and on some I strongly disagree. However I also respect their point of view and where they are both coming from and both are knowledgeable posters. I think there’s room for all views here.
 #1595251  by lordsigma12345

eolesen wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:15 pm Show me.
More just speaking in broad terms about rail as an option and rail vs bus in general - not going to try to argue this specific example because I honestly don’t know this specific market. That’s up to advocates with more knowledge of that market so I’m not going to try. Not knowing the state I’m not going to second guess the actions of the legislature if they felt they couldn’t afford the second train right now.
 #1595253  by StLouSteve

>>>>What service won't have equipment if the dozens daily who use the Mule get their second train back?

With the new locos and Midwest cars coming on line, we will have extra Amfleets and Horizons available for redeployment. (This has been discussed in other thread topics).

>>>I'd much rather see something added from STL to MEM, or CHI to OMA.

I am also in favor of a additional routes, but not at the cost of eliminating current service. With the new equipment and funding (assuming the STB can crack down on the railroads seeking their pound of flesh in the current case to add Gulf Coast service), we can actually think about expansion possibilities for the first time in Amtrak's existence.

And a side note--I too enjoy our fact intensive discussion of the issues--this board may be one of the few places on the web where the right and left can engage in dialogue without pronounced ad hominem attacks.
 #1595964  by StLouSteve

Think I recently read that with only one train a day in MO for the foreseeable future, Amtrak is going to pull the MO trainset and just use one of the Lincoln trainsets to run through STL (instead of reversing there) to KC and then back to STL and up to Chicago.

Unsure how this will affect cafe food stocking, toilet cleaning, coach watering, etc.

Amtrak:
"Lincoln-River Runner through service established. Existing Trains 303/313 and 314/304 will become Trains 318 and 319 operating Chicago-St. Louis-Kansas City, with minor schedule adjustments between St. Louis and Kansas City." Effective 5/23/22
Last edited by StLouSteve on Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1596060  by John_Perkowski

StLouSteve wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:05 am Think I recently read that with only one train a day in MO for the foreseeable future, Amtrak is going to pull the MO trainset and just use one of the Lincoln trainsets to run through STL (instead of reversing there) to KC and then back to STL and up to Chicago.

Unsure how this will affect cafe food stocking, toilet cleaning, coach watering, etc.
Not to mention UP’s requirement for axle count.
 #1596089  by Pensyfan19

John_Perkowski wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:48 am Not to mention UP’s requirement for axle count.
Why can't Amtrak just run more coaches and one baggage car instead of using extra baggage cars and diners? Increases capacity for a somewhat busy route. Keep in mind the MoPac used to run six round trip trains a day along the very route of the River Runner, while competing against the Rock Island, Burlington Route and Wabash between the same two cities.
 #1596098  by Gilbert B Norman

StLouSteve wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:05 am Think I recently read that with only one train a day in MO for the foreseeable future, Amtrak is going to pull the MO trainset and just use one of the Lincoln trainsets to run through STL (instead of reversing there) to KC and then back to STL and up to Chicago.
I'll stand corrected on this point if need be, but won't he riding, say SPI-JEF, start the trip riding forward, end it "otherwise"?

Overseas, riders seem to care little about their direction of travel, "over here" different story.
 #1596105  by eolesen

Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:45 am Why can't Amtrak just run more coaches and one baggage car instead of using extra baggage cars and diners? Increases capacity for a somewhat busy route. Keep in mind the MoPac used to run six round trip trains a day along the very route of the River Runner, while competing against the Rock Island, Burlington Route and Wabash between the same two cities.
Scroll way up to the ridership stats... the train is running at less than 50% load factor (not uncommon) so no, that's not a busy route by any means.

There's not much purpose in posting what ridership or frequencies might have been in the 60's. A lot's changed since then.
 #1596169  by John_Perkowski

@pennsyfan19

You might want to look at a population map of my State, Missouri. It’s generally rural. There are three roads which run at speed across the Stare: I-44, I-70, and US-36. There are but two significant towns on the MoPac— Jeff City, because it’s the capital, and Warrensburg, because of Whiteman AFB.

Missouri service is State supported, and Missouri made a decision. It’s that simple.
 #1596218  by StLouSteve

>>>"I'll stand corrected on this point if need be, but won't he riding, say SPI-JEF, start the trip riding forward, end it "otherwise"?"
>>>
No need to reverse directions in St Louis when coming down from Chicago and continuing to head west to KC. Presumably train will get turned and serviced in KC before heading back East to STL and then north from there to Chicago.
 #1596302  by John_Perkowski

There’s an ad hoc wye near the old KCT roundhouse. The all stops local turns each night on it.
 #1597310  by Bob Roberts

Looks like Missouri decided they needed twice a day service after all:
Other budget items approved by the Senate committee, $2.4 million to fully fund the twice-daily Amtrak service that runs between St. Louis and Kansas City, known as the River Runner. The train was reduced to one trip a day back in January due to a lack of funding.
https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/lawma ... ssourians/