Railroad Forums 

• Alternatives to Radio for Railfanning

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1587584  by Denver Dude

I wish I had a dollar for every hour I waited for a train to show up. I am aware of the Uniden radios but have found them to be bulky, hard to set up, and inconvenient.

I am going to again be riding an Amtrak sleeper car from Denver to Glenwood Springs next month. UP trains are infrequent there, and I always seem to be too far from the tracks when they come through.

Is there an alternative - maybe a phone app or website to track trains? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.
Thanks.
 #1587597  by eolesen

RailroadRadio.net has a couple streams for Colorado.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1587638  by eolesen

You really don't. Keep a map and timetable handy with the mileposts.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1587730  by NHV 669

They aren't timetables in the sense of telling when and where a freight will arrive. But they will generally list the mileposts/control points and where they are located, so that if one gets called out in a radio transmission, you'll have at least a general idea where they are. They will also include the Maximum authorized speed for sections of track located within the TT.