Railroad Forums 

• Boston Waterfront Industrial Track Reactivation

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1579007  by bostontrainguy

neman2 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:14 am That is the staging area for the contractor doing the MBTA Cabot yard rebuild. Special trackwork like that is usually pre-assembled to make sure all pieces are there and fit together properly. You don't want to find out an important part is missing or doesn't align in the middle of a weekend shutdown. That is too large to go by truck, it would have been separated into transportable pieces.
Thanks for that info.
 #1579026  by MickD

[quote=Douglasphil post_id=1569802 time=1619547518 user_id=284327]
That whole Boston waterfront area is not freight friendly, Amtrak and Keolis don't always play well with others. The Dorchester Branch has a 10 mph limit for freight and limited to plate c. When CSX still served the Cold Storage place near South Station , I was told that they couldn't arrive down there until after midnight and had to vacate the premises before 4:30-5:00 Am . That line about CSX going down to the Port between 6:30 Pm and 6:00 AM is purely theoretical. Someone should consult the parties involved before publishing these reports. I'm not so sure if CSX, Amtrak or the MBTA are really on board with any of this.
[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head..Massport would have to buy or take by imminent domain
Quite a bit of land ,plus constructions costs for there to be any significant revival of
Port related rail traffic.....
 #1579050  by bostontrainguy

MickD wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:05 pm You hit the nail on the head..Massport would have to buy or take by imminent domain
Quite a bit of land ,plus constructions costs for there to be any significant revival of
Port related rail traffic.....
You lost me here. The most recent plan is new tracks on Tide Street to reach the Eastern Salt property (formally MMT) where heavy loads can be loaded to/from ships. What "quite a bit of land" would Massport have to take?