Railroad Forums 

• C420 #211 reported to be parted out.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1050729  by RGlueck

On RYPN it's reported DL is parting the old girl out to support their LV C420's and she's going to be cut up. Anybody verify or shoot down the story?
 #1550625  by RGlueck

Whether she's gutted or not, it would be a fine piece of a shell for a LIRR display. I find it difficult to accept the huge C-420 fleet which served the commuters so well has all but disappeared.
 #1550639  by Pensyfan19

Anyone interested in purchasing it or will it be restored by DL? I would think the RR Museum of Long Island would be interested if it were for sale.
 #1559960  by Pensyfan19

Trainman14 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:00 am I'm quite saddened to hear if the 211 has been cut up or what have you, I wish it could return to L I. One can only dream I guess. :(
Can anyone confirm if this locomotive has been cut up? Last I checked it's still stored, likely as a pats unit.
 #1560022  by RGlueck

My understanding, and I've not seen it myself, is the body appears to be largely intact, but the major components have been removed or parted out. The locomotive is, for all intents and purposes, a shell which looks like a C420.
As the C420's were a mainstay passenger locomotive of the 60's through 70's, displaying one would be somewhat like having saved an FM C-Liner back in 1964.
 #1560051  by Backshophoss

Saving a L-1 or L-2 class C-420 would be nice,but moving to Oyster Bay, Riverhead, or Greenport would be problematic ,if the air brake plumbing has been salvaged for other units
Which Museum has the space to display the remaining shell of this loco?