Railroad Forums 

• Ferrocarril Central Andino

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1558141  by Benny

Sometimes a grey sky can helps to take photos that with good weather aren't possible; e.g. this one would be completely against the light in case of blue sky.
701+treno acido PL Palla ppr ..jpg
701+treno acido PL Palla ppr ..jpg (72.48 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
In the morning i found 701 at the head of the sulphuric acid train in Callao area renowned for the elegance of the of its villas, as can be seen on the left of the loco.

Ciao :wink:
 #1558619  by Benny

From a short video that I sent to my friends I extracted this shot.
701 isolata dietro a Minka.jpg
701 isolata dietro a Minka.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
What is interesting is not the loco alone but the manner in which was moving.
Yesterday, hearing a coming train, I've gone out of the market place but, ready to photograph, a noisy client made me a mobile call and I lost the shot to 1024 at the head of the sulphuric acid train.
A little angry, I was crossing the track to return inside when heard another horn and, lifting eyes, appeared 702 that was following the train in driving-at-sight mode. Various times I saw trains with a loco at the back to simplify shunting at Callao but it has been the first time that I saw a loco "hunting" a train.

#1558842  by Benny

Today, around noon, I saw a freight train approaching Monserrate station and hauled by one of the C40-8Ws arrived some times ago. And that is very impressive.
I couldn't take neither the number nor photos because was fighting with the "fluid" traffic of a before-Christmas Saturday but that one was probably one of the first services because the FCCA livery was shining.
What could be interesting to know is: given the bought of these two locos and the reinstatement of three double-cab machines, is the company watching for a traffic increase or simply wants to sideline some of the actual ones?
Well, after this new, our friend NorthWest will invite me a glass of beer.

#1560295  by Benny

Arriving at the calle Palla level crossing, in Callao, I saw it blocked by a standing train so turned and followed the track to go to another level crossing. And, on the road, I took this image of 705 at the head of the train.
705+misto Dulanto 3.jpg
705+misto Dulanto 3.jpg (71.1 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
To be noted that the train was not stopped for a real circulation need but to give to the crew the chance of buying breakfast in a nearby small restaurant, as it's showed by the little bag in the hands of the walking warden.

#1562702  by Benny

Not all evil comes to harm.
In the afternoon, a client took me in a damned place in the bottom of the world, moreover for a ridiculous tariff. Coming back to the civilization (well, this is a big word) I took a look at Santa Clara station, important for being the junction of the Cajamarquilla refinery line.
Being Saturday afternoon there were no movements but...but...
Ladies and gentlemen, the 1034, one of the two C40-8Ws that came here months ago.
1034+vuoti concentrato S. Clara 1.jpg
1034+vuoti concentrato S. Clara 1.jpg (95.9 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
A truck for my friend NorthWest
carrello 1034.jpg
carrello 1034.jpg (117.96 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
This one probably is the second unit because air reservoirs show 21/01/21 as overhaul date but I saw one of them in service at mid-December.
And adapting work has been minimal because the new livery has been painted over rust bubbles.
bolle di ruggine 1034.jpg
bolle di ruggine 1034.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
Well, and now hope to shot it in a nice place!

#1562797  by Benny

What is instinct? It's that little voice that suggests you to return in a place where you were just three minutes ago whispering that there will be something good.
And following my instinct I've been awarded of the two C40-8Ws recently acquired that at the entrance of Monserrate station, were shunting an empty cars train.
And returned me the good mood.
1033+1034+vuoti concentrato Monserrate 3.jpg
1033+1034+vuoti concentrato Monserrate 3.jpg (118.29 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
 #1567249  by Benny

This afternoon, passing on the avenida Tacna bridge, I saw a freight train hauled by 1033 entering in the Monserrate yard.
Coming back after more than an hour, the loco, yet turned, was shunting so I've gone to the usual place at the side of the Presidential building although, in the afternoon, the light is good for trains coming from the other side. Just a testimonial
1033 in manovra a Monserrate 3.jpg
1033 in manovra a Monserrate 3.jpg (84.89 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
To be noted that the loco has been equipped with a water tank for handawashIng.
bidone lavamani sulla 1033.jpg
bidone lavamani sulla 1033.jpg (64.52 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
It seems that the new beasts are mainly used between Chosica (or Matucana) and Monserrate leaving the last stretch to Callao in the hands of the double cab locos.

Last edited by Benny on Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1567260  by Benny

It was partly open (and the back one completely open) probably to refresh the cab; seasons here are inverted and still it's warm weather.

#1568204  by Benny

An unexpected arrival when I was waiting for the green light at the crossing between avenidas Atalaya and Gambetta, in Callao.
Moreover, the train was a relatively rare container-carrying one.
705+539+treno container Gambetta 2.jpg
705+539+treno container Gambetta 2.jpg (33.57 KiB) Viewed 1227 times