Railroad Forums 

• Bridge issues

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1565264  by Greenstar

Hello
My name is Greenstar
Leader of the Fictional White Lion Railways
We are based in Columbus, Ohio
I have been going over maps of our dedicated ROW that we use for HSR operations and I noticed something that would be an issue to model. That issue is a bridge that is about 239 Ft tall called the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge near Cincinnati, Ohio. The White Lion Railways ROW runs parallel to the highway at that part of the line, and as a result, we would need to bridge the gap. Does anyone have any ideas for a Grand bridge design that could be modelled for that location? Or any advice on how to approach making a grand bridge for the gap?
 #1565593  by jwhite07

Impressive bridge!

For benefit of others who like me had no idea about it before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Morrow_Bridge

I'm guessing regardless of the scale you model, you will not be attempting to build something like this strictly to scale... in HO it would be over 2 1/2 feet tall and almost 26 feet long. I presume you're instead looking to recreate something with the general look and feel of it, sized to suit the space you have available.

That definitely looks like it'll be a custom build, no matter what. I know there are scale concrete box girder sections which are sold as flatcar loads out there, but I don't know of any complete bridge kits of such, especially with the arched undersides. It could be a very fun project in wood, styrene, or resin though. Don't forget to leave room on the edges of the bridge deck for a maintenance walkway, railings, and maybe catenary poles!
 #1565601  by Greenstar

That does sound like it could work, although the WLRW bridge is it’s own structure that runs alongside to the East of the Jeremiah Morrow. The issue is mainly figuring out how to have a grand bridge that can support the weight of a massive railway gun as well as the speeds of the more regular High Speed Trains that would cross it. Running the Jeremiah Morrow itself would need to greatly strengthen the structure to hold such weights