Railroad Forums 

• 20th Century Limited Final Consist Question

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1563234  by John Laubenheimer

Sorry, but I can’t find this anywhere online.

The last run of New York Central’s 20th Century Limited (#25-26) occurred on December 3-4, 1967. At that time, the Century was combined with the New England States (#27-28) between Buffalo and Chicago. Does anybody know the consists of the final runs of these 2 trains?
 #1563282  by Allen Hazen

Alas, I can't answer, but I've got another question. After the Century was dropped, the New York Central continued to have an overnight Chicago-New York train, with a Boston section. (I road it in the spring of 1969, by which time it was a Penn Central train.) Did it have a name? and what were its numbers?

And... was the Lake Shore one of Amtrak's runs from the beginning? (I know the Broadway was.) Or was it added after an initial period in which Amtrak had only one New York - Chicago schedule?
 #1563283  by Allen Hazen

Just noticed that ONE of my questions was answered on this forum last year: Ed Bear, in the "Take the Central to the Fair!" string, wrote "The Riley was the only named train left on the NYC after 12/3/1967."
 #1563764  by TCurtin

I presume you mean the Century and NE States were combined west of Buffalo after the Dec 1967 last run, yes?

Here are a couple of other question about the Century near the end: 1. The observation car Sandy Creek had not been running on the train for quite a while --- replaced, I think , by Wingate Brook. [Note: Hickory Creek was still on the other consist]. Yet the car still exists, so I think. What had happened to it at the end of Century operation?
2. The red carpet was gone from GCT for a while before the train's demise. What happened to it?
 #1563781  by Allen Hazen

Re: "I presume you mean the Century and NE States were combined west of Buffalo after the Dec 1967 last run, yes?"
---The train I rode in May or June of 1969, e.b., divided into New York and Boston sections at, I think, Renselaer.
 #1563953  by John Laubenheimer

The CENTURY and the NE STATES were combined between Buffalo and Chicago from November 5, 1967 until the end on December 3, 1967.
The replacement service (after December 4, 1967) was numbered #61 & #62 between GCT and Albany and #27 & #28 between Boston/Albany and Chicago. See http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/ptt/ ... t-1167.pdf and http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/ptt/ ... t-1267.pdf for more details.