Moderator: David

#1559450  by Bracdude181

Another power change at Brown’s (?)

NS 5285 was replaced by CSX 4452

The current roster is:

CSX 6160
CSX 4452
CSX 4421

Odd, 5285 didn’t stay long. Probably broke down again.
 #1559452  by NJT4149

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:03 pm Another power change at Brown’s (?)

NS 5285 was replaced by CSX 4452

The current roster is:

CSX 6160
CSX 4452
CSX 4421

Odd, 5285 didn’t stay long. Probably broke down again.
There likely will not be anymore NS units in Browns. PTC on NJ Transit was cut in recently, and it is based on the ACSES system. CSX units are equipped with ACSES, while a very small number of NS units are, with none being assigned to Conrail at this time. Any NS units in Browns will be able to go anywhere but the SOUS. Similar explanation as to why Metuchen hasn’t seen NS power in a long time.
 #1559453  by Bracdude181

@NJT4149 I remember hearing something about that from a Conrail crew in Port Reading once.

You are 100 percent correct about CSX PTC systems being compatible with NJ Transit. However, I’ve also heard that the interoperability requirements by the FRA will allow different PTC systems to work with each other. Therefore allowing NS engines on the Coast Line and elsewhere where there’s different PTC systems.

I’m not sure why this would mean NS engines can’t be in Browns. To my knowledge, the Coast Line is the only route that requires engines with PTC. Anything else is dark territory.

Interesting to hear that there’s been no NS engines in Metuchen for a while. Does this include the transfer? (OI-32) I thought the NEC used the same PTC that NS uses systemwide?
 #1559457  by NJT4149

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:44 pm @NJT4149 I remember hearing something about that from a Conrail crew in Port Reading once.

You are 100 percent correct about CSX PTC systems being compatible with NJ Transit. However, I’ve also heard that the interoperability requirements by the FRA will allow different PTC systems to work with each other. Therefore allowing NS engines on the Coast Line and elsewhere where there’s different PTC systems.

I’m not sure why this would mean NS engines can’t be in Browns. To my knowledge, the Coast Line is the only route that requires engines with PTC. Anything else is dark territory.

Interesting to hear that there’s been no NS engines in Metuchen for a while. Does this include the transfer? (OI-32) I thought the NEC used the same PTC that NS uses systemwide?
CSX and NS both use I-ETMS for their trackside systems, but CSX equipped their locomotives with ACSES/ASES II. NJT and Amtrak both use ACSES based systems for both the locomotives and trackside. You can use ACSES equipped units in I-ETMS territory, but you can’t use I-ETMS equipped units in ACSES territory. Since NS engines are equipped with I-ETMS, they can’t be used in ACSES territory, which means they can’t run on Amtrak nor NJT. OI-32 hasn’t had NS in a very long time.
 #1559461  by CR7876

NJT4149 wrote:
Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:44 pm @NJT4149 I remember hearing something about that from a Conrail crew in Port Reading once.

CSX and NS both use I-ETMS for their trackside systems, but CSX equipped their locomotives with ACSES/ASES II. NJT and Amtrak both use ACSES based systems for both the locomotives and trackside. You can use ACSES equipped units in I-ETMS territory, but you can’t use I-ETMS equipped units in ACSES territory. Since NS engines are equipped with I-ETMS, they can’t be used in ACSES territory, which means they can’t run on Amtrak nor NJT. OI-32 hasn’t had NS in a very long time.
NS will more than likely keep the units that are equipped with ACSES in Croxton for local service on the Main and Bergen Lines, and Manville for RVL service.
 #1559462  by Bracdude181

@NJT4149 Thank you for clarifying that for me. You seem very knowledgeable about PTC systems and how they work.

@CR7876 Makes sense, although I’m not sure why NS still runs those trains since they currently don’t seem to want any train that doesn’t move intermodal lol.

Guess this means the end of NS power on OI-16 as well. Good thing I caught NS 1700 crossing the Raritan River Bridge when I did!
 #1559579  by Bracdude181

I’ve been hearing that an SA22 went down to Red Bank last with 4421 and 4452 for a PTC test last night. Can anyone confirm this?
 #1559612  by Bracdude181

@Railseast Darn. Would have liked to see that.

For anyone who may be wondering, we might see them bring the train down tomorrow as SA31 has run on Christmas Eve before.