Railroad Forums 

• WASHINGTON TERMINAL ALCO RS-1'S

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#202444  by Alcoman

My records show that 15 out of 25 WT RS-1's exsist.
What RS-1's are in the Maryland/VA and points South?

#204888  by Aa3rt

There were 3 RS-1's from the WT at the Morgantown (Charles County) generating plant operated by Mirant (formerly PEPCO). You can still see one of them from RT 301 when crossing the Potomac to Dahlgren, VA from the road. Two were operational, the third was being cannibalized for parts. Here's a photo of #42 in happier times.

http://www.traingod.railfan.net/OtherRR/pepco42.JPG

I've also heard of one being used by a gravel operation outside of Fredericksburg, VA but have never seen this one personally.
 #1533084  by CrustyTrainGuy6

More revived threads! I know that another of the Washington Terminal Company's Alco RS-1s was sold to the Potomac Electric Power Company for switching at the Possum Point Generating Facility. Looking at old google maps, even though the plant doesn't receive coal shipments anymore, the track remains and so does #61 although very rusted. I think it would be cool to send #61 to VMT in Roanoke, but I don't think there would be enough support. Although, I would donate if somebody had a feasable plan.

All The Best,

Nick Jobe
Centreville, VA
Attachments:
Potomac Electric Power Company Alco RS-1 #61 at the Possum Point Generating Plant on the old RF&P.
Potomac Electric Power Company Alco RS-1 #61 at the Possum Point Generating Plant on the old RF&P.
5-4-2019_004.JPG (445.29 KiB) Viewed 1569 times