Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1499893  by mmi16

Arborwayfan wrote:I'm curious about how the railroads handle the Auto Train, and whether they find it less of a dispatching problem than other passenger trains. I am thinking that because it has no intermediate stops, it never needs to wait at a station until it's scheduled to leave. So the railroad could essentially allow it to "make up time" early in the trip to cover for expected delays later in the trip. No one on board has a reason to care if it passes town A "late" or leaves town B "early". So I wonder (1) does Amtrak schedule it just as optimistically as it's other trains, basically assuming it will get up to the speed limit just outside of Lorton and stay there until Sanford except for crew changes, or does Amtrak schedule it with a little bit of padding that gives the dispatchers some flexibility in how to handle it without delaying it too much and (2) do the dispatchers handle it differently from a passenger train with lots of stops?
From a Metrics point of view. Auto-Train is only marked for departure from origin and arrival at destination. There are no intermediate checkpoints for the trains operation from the CSX perspective.
 #1508520  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is a video taken by a "dashcam" showing the entire load at LOR and unload at SFA. Somewhere I never saw on my AT journeys:

https://youtu.be/BCkUnz3GxO8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I cannot assure how much longer my health will hold out for road trips to Florida, Auto Train simply "priced me out of the market" when they wanted $974 (Bedroom for me, rack for "Black Beauty") for an NB trip during February this year. I'd seen the rate go from $675 during '17 (acceptable) to $814 in '18 (pushing it) to the "obscenity button" of '19.

I recently looked and a $675 rate was available - well, if you wanted to travel NB during mid-July. Anyone think I'm about to drive down there then just to take a joyride? There'd have to be a bit more foam "excreting from the orifice" for that to happen.

Until now, every auto I owned since the Amtrak resumption has seen an AT rack. Oh well, "Black Beauty" may have to be content with the one ride he has had - Portland, OR to Elwood, IL.
 #1508524  by mtuandrew

If only there were a convenient, price-effective way for individuals to send their cars from Elwood to Portland, Long Beach, Ft Worth, Rensselaer, Lorton, or Sanford. The capacity is there on the Class Is and Amtrak could also offer limited Auto train service on its LDs, but today the only ways you can do so are either at the hands of a small-fry trucking company or if “fresh off the boat” like Black Beauty or “hot off the presses” like my now-aged blue oval once was.
 #1509024  by Backshophoss

After Auto Train's failed Attempt on the Chicago-Florida routing,and today's intermodal competition between the Class ! RR's,
the Auto Train concept is DOA on any of the Transconns.
The Needed Support facilities for loading/unloading and Passengers require too much real estate.
 #1509055  by bostontrainguy

Backshophoss wrote:After Auto Train's failed Attempt on the Chicago-Florida routing,and today's intermodal competition between the Class ! RR's,
the Auto Train concept is DOA on any of the Transconns.
The Needed Support facilities for loading/unloading and Passengers require too much real estate.
I don't know about that. There are lots of vacant unused and underutilized old rail yards around the country. There are probably lots that could be used.
 #1509073  by BandA

mtuandrew wrote:If only there were a convenient, price-effective way for individuals to send their cars from Elwood to Portland, Long Beach, Ft Worth, Rensselaer, Lorton, or Sanford. The capacity is there on the Class Is and Amtrak could also offer limited Auto train service on its LDs, but today the only ways you can do so are either at the hands of a small-fry trucking company or if “fresh off the boat” like Black Beauty or “hot off the presses” like my now-aged blue oval once was.
It's 2019; If you go to Amtrak's website, you can get a price for the auto train. If you go to any of these trucking companies you either have to call them or fill out a form and they will get back to you. So 1990. Wait until self-driving cars come around & your car becomes a Slumbercoach to Florida.
 #1509098  by mtuandrew

BandA wrote:It's 2019; If you go to Amtrak's website, you can get a price for the auto train. If you go to any of these trucking companies you either have to call them or fill out a form and they will get back to you. So 1990.
Yup, that’s my point; Amtrak doesn’t offer Auto Train anywhere but one corridor, and it’s extremely inconvenient to hire someone to haul your car. So, rentals it is.
BandA wrote:Wait until self-driving cars come around & your car becomes a Slumbercoach to Florida.
We shall see. I’m not sure I want to sleep in my car either, though I suppose the Self-Driving Carevolution (tm) will include queen-sized beds on wheels.
 #1509219  by CentralValleyRail

4 hours late twice and 8 hours late once on SB-53 in the last week is not a great catalyst for expanding service. Am taking next week, thinking of getting the 3 hours or later insurance added on...
 #1509223  by BandA

Alternatives could be, the car carrier firms start offering a "standard product" or online quotations on what is known as an "app"

Or car carriers can go onto freight trains.

Perhaps packaged with an airplane flight and temporary car rental until the car arrives. (but I'm repeating myself)
 #1514279  by Jeff Smith

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... 020--58053
Improvements will include an expansion of sleeping-car accommodation availability to meet demand, Amtrak officials said in a press release.

Also, starting Jan. 15, Amtrak will add dining options with the debut of the train's "Cross-Country Cafe," which will feature meals, snacks and beverages for sale.

Coach class tickets no longer will include complimentary dinner service, but coach riders will receive a complimentary breakfast prior to the train's arrival at the Lorton or Sanford stations, Amtrak officials said.

For all riders, food trucks will be available onsite in Lorton and Sanford.
 #1514289  by mmi16

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 pm I'm not real sure if that means dining cars are eliminated? Or this is an addition for coach?
Food Trucks at Lorton and Sanford - say good bye to Dining Cars. Stock up at the food truck for dinner or go hungry until the Amtrak served 'breakfast'.
 #1514293  by Backshophoss

The Diner for the coach class passenger is being turned into a"Cross Country Cafe/lounge setup.shades of the"Silver Starvation" setup :(