Railroad Forums 

• WMATA will no longer be able to open swing gates for VRE

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1474577  by davinp

Mr. Allen discussed several WMATA-related issues. WMATA has informed VRE it will no longer be able to open swing gates for VRE riders during service disruptions. Without the ability to open the swing gates, the “Metro Option” will need to be discontinued. VRE will inform riders of this change, which is effective July 1, 2018, and encourage them to purchase a SmarTrip card for future incidents.

The "Metro Option" is where VRE riders can ride Metrorail for free when there is a big service disruption, which doesn't happen very often.

VRE is also continuing discussions with WMATA on the non-Metro rider parking surcharge for VRE riders at Franconia-Springfield.

Finally, with the announced Metrorail shutdown on the Yellow and Blue lines next summer, VRE is working on how it can respond to the change in commuting options during this period.

https://www.vre.org/about/board/board-a ... draft-pdf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1474580  by MCL1981

This will presumably affect MARC since they do the same thing. This is going to infuriate a lot of people! I understand the logistical problem though. WMATA is locking down the emergency gates since they're flagrantly abused by faregate jumpers. I can't see any reasonable and functional solution through smart trip cards for riders to use or get reimbursed for. Any solution that involves utilizing the fare gate is bound to be a non-starter. So I think the end result will be MARC and VRE riders have to suck it up and pay.
 #1474677  by MCL1981

mtuandrew wrote:Can’t be that many VRE or MARC riders without a SmartTrip card.
It's not that they don't have smart trip cards. That majority probably do have smart trip cards. It's that they will have to pay for the trip. which has always been a freebie through the emergency gate. That said, those people who only travel to the intermediate stops may very will not have a smart trip card and will be twice as screwed.
 #1474906  by STrRedWolf

jcepler1 wrote:The metro option has been a nice favor for the commuter railroads. if the red line is down, can i show my SmarTrip card to a MARC conductor and use that instead?
MARC conductors do not have the reader for SmartTrip/CharmCards.
 #1475113  by davinp

mmi16 wrote:Money -- It's all about money. Screw the users.
No it's not. Just received an email from VRE.

As a part of their efforts to keep Metro Safe, Reliable and Affordable, WMATA is making changes to their rail stations that will secure the gates previously used to allow VRE riders and others access to the system. Unfortunately, these changes will eliminate VRE’s ability to offer the Metro Option.

In the event of a service disruption, VRE riders may still use Metro as an alternative. However, riders will have to use a personal SmarTrip card and incur the cost of the trip.

Most riders probably already have a SmarTrip card because that is how we get our smart benefits
 #1475129  by MCL1981

I'm curious if the "metro option" that VRE and MARC use is something that VRE and MARC paid for. It obviously would be payment for an estimated amount since there was no accountability for who used it. Or if it was just something they all did to be nice to each other.
 #1475669  by STrRedWolf

I just thought up of a way that could be a substitute "Metro Option":
  1. Customer gets a SmarTrip card.
  2. Customer registers the card with WMATA, then with MARC/VRE (specific to each line, of course).
  3. When the "Metro Option" is opened up, MARC/VRE will ask WMATA for who out of the registered-with-MARC/VRE list used Metro that day.
  4. MARC/VRE refunds that day's usage through WMATA to those who took Metro.
I'm sure MARC can do that right now, if that department of MTA can talk to the Fare Control and IT departments. VRE would need to tie in to WMATA, probably if VRE, MARC, and WMATA were to get a "Rail to Rail" pass on those cards (which is possible -- look at the CharmCards which are SmarTrip cards).
 #1475885  by STrRedWolf

daybeers wrote:But we all know that plan makes far too much sense for WMATA to implement it.
Wouldn't be up to WMATA. I think MTA can do refunding right now, since Charmcards are the same system. (Hint: I used to work for MTA's IT Department and helped a bit in this regard) VRE would need access to the system.