Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1464208  by Noel Weaver

Very sad for me to report that long time retired Harlem engineer Vic Westman passed away suddenly a few days ago (I don't have the exact date). Vic was an absolute gentleman in every respect and a great railroader. I qualified on the Harlem to Brewster mostly by riding and working with him back in maybe 1983 or so. He was one of the finest I ever met. We'll miss you Vic.
Noel Weaver
 #1464215  by DutchRailnut

Vic passed monday , great engineer and a great artist , his paintings were front page on book on Putnam division and may others.
Vic had a passion for cars and had quite a few old cars in his collection , I worked with Vic in Brewster in and around 1984 and hooked up with him in Danbury when i became the MofE supervisor . I think we both learned a lot from each other.
Vic use to be a regular attendee at retirees breakfast in Danbury but he was amongst the missing in last few months, Vic have a safe last trip, you will be missed.
 #1464742  by onder

Sad news. Vic was welcoming to this railfan when he was a runner. I remember finding out
he had to stand down due to a heart problem. Tough break but that was in the late 80s
if I remember correctly. I guess he had quite a bit left in him!
May he rest in peace.
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... -_-title11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of his paintings.